Quantcast
The Family Meal Experience - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Family Meal Experience

anyone who has the gall the complain about free food does not deserve the privilege of a family meal, and majority of the time more than half the staff do not appreciate it at all so there's really no point in feeding them, sucks for the ones who actually are cool but that's life.

Took me a while to realise you were talking about staff meals.I learned a lot about cooking from making staff meals,it was part of my first kitchen job.The hardest was during Christmas when I was inevitability given Turkey to use as the main protein-the place I worked Christmas parties ran from late November to mid January.Staff are generally the hardest to please and you need to make real effort.I used to offer "off-menu"items to the hot waitresses,and that is how I met my wife-true story.
    I think all junior chefs should have to do this as it teaches creativty,wastage/cost control and people management skills.

ive had many "dates" from lovely young waitresses by making an extra effort with their food, quickest way to a girls ...... heart.

where i am now we have a communal dinner when the kitchens cleaned down, no one gets anything before we are down, if they have to go home/out they miss dinner and no requests, usually there are 8-10 all up, i work in a "modern Thai" restaurant (think Longrain -Sydney or Nahm in London) so all of us have a big thing for chilli, hot curries etc new staff get a little freaked at us sweating while stuffing it in our mouths.

A few things we need to make fresh daily, roasted chilli Nahm Jim for one, that poured on rice with a little 5spice shredded chicken i could eat every night.
    Its funny how fast you build up a tolerance to chilli

anyone who has the gall the complain about free food does not deserve the privilege of a family meal, and majority of the time more than half the staff do not appreciate it at all so there's really no point in feeding them, sucks for the ones who actually are cool but that's life.
    worked at a place where the front of the house just waits around for the food and expects us cooks to make them their food without any appreciation. i do understand there will forever be a divide between the front of the house and the back of the house people but there should be some sort of balance. which is why i won't get into detail in my problems with the servers. i just don't like the fact that we peeps in the kitchen do a ton of work and get paid a lot less and tipped a lot less while they get to look pretty and just wipe glasses and finery all day.

I happen to work with TheDisspossed. I have mixed feelings about family meal. First and foremost, I completely understand how unfair it is that in the middle of a busy day you have to stop what you're doing to feed a staff that shows up only 45 minutes before service starts. Meanwhile, myself and the other line cooks typically have to work through family just to finish out our prep. I do feel that family meal is a great outlet to practice new techniques or new dishes. New sauce or marinade. Things of that nature. It's one of the only positive things I get out of the family meal experience. Otherwise, it's just an annoying part of my day.

HotDog!

Quote Originally Posted by HotDog View Post
    I happen to work with TheDisspossed.
    you really do work with the dispossessed

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    "Filet again??!!!"
    really? the first time my (now) wife and i broke up, i ate steak every day for 3 months. maybe i'm weird.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    really? the first time my (now) wife and i broke up, i ate steak every day for 3 months. maybe i'm weird.
    I usually cook a filet about once a week, but could easily up that to five times a week (or more) if cost/health were not factors.

hotdog, you have a problem stopping in your probably 6th hour of your shift to make people 'dinner' for people who just walked in the door, who won't say thank you? you probably just upset cause you haven't used the bathroom or done anything besides chugged some water and plow through orders/prep all day. I always wonder how I can be up at 8am, eat breakfast be at work by 10am, and still make servers who start at 4pm dinner, because they 'didn't have time'. Love staff meal for FOH cavemen vultures. Pardon me, touchy subject.