Quantcast
The Family Meal Experience
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Family Meal Experience

The Family Meal Experience

Hey just checking in with fellow line cooks on what the family meal experience has been like at your restaurants past and present. Where i'm at now, we have a relatively small line (2-3 am cooks, 4 pm and 2-4 chefs on any given day). we all try to help out in some way and are allowed and encouraged to order proteins, veg whatever for family and be creative with it. about half the time we repurpose scrap and what not and the rest we make stuff free of ingredients otherwise meant for our menu. the standard is to make a protein, starch, veg, and salad, this doesn't always happen, but mostly, and rarely does anyone make extras like beverages and desserts, but sometimes.

This road.... never ends well for anyone.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

If I had noticed this was in the BoH section, I wouldn't have had to read it 4 times before it made sense to me...

What do you mean Rick?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

"Filet again??!!!"

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Yeah, dangerous game. I've only seen it in newer restaurants, places run by ambitious and naive guys in their 30s who are trying to foster a "fun and friendly" atmosphere that, invariably, ends up being abused.

interesting, thanks for the feedback

The phrase "unused protein" should be a red flag.
    Happiness is a sharp knife.

It's just a thankless job that never pleases anyone. Seriously, I've actually heard on many occasions, "Filet again?!!" Replace filet with any other protein too, I've heard em all. I don't get worked up on it though, it is what it is. We have two rules though, you don't like it, don't eat it and we don't entertain open complaints, criticisms or requests about family meal. Take it up with your foh manager in private or get blasted in front of everyone. I know that's not what this thread is supposed to be about but it's a bit of a touchy subject at my place.

My newest job I just started has been amazing at family meals..really delicious stuff. Everyone is very grateful. One time one of the servers wanted to contribute something and came in early to make something and it was awesome also.

"It's too salty, there's no salt in it, there's no cheese on it, there's too much cheese on it, there's too much sauce in it, there's no sauce in it, how come there's no French fries, how come there's always French fries...." We actually joke about these vultures all the time. Making CRAAAWWW!! sounds and such. It's pretty funny really. People get pissed off too if second supper goes up 10 minutes "late" as well....