Thread: The Family Meal Experience

CRAAWW!!!!
    Name:  vultures.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  29.6 KB
    Aww man, ribs AGAIN??!!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

In general staff meal makes me hate the staff. Also peoples eating habits and predilections are insane.

hehe, I have used the CCCAAAWWW myself for 15 years, its funny how it transcends time/borders. At a place I worked we even served up FOH meal in a giant oversized dog bowl, was the only satisfying time watching those savages eat.

I think it's a pretty touchy subject everywhere. I don't work crazy long hours, but it does piss me off if I am working an 10 or 11 hour shift with no break and have to make food for someone who works like 3 or 4 hours and gets a half hour break. The odd time I actually get to make something it's usually cold by the time I have a chance to eat it

I eat like a horse at work, standing up. Agreed steven, cold usually.

yep. cold. either that or i sneak a spoonful of whatever or two when the boss ain't lookin. a man's gotta eat. and i go on bathroom breaks (while not caring if anyone is looking for me or else i implode) and take a couple minutes just to cool my nerves, sneak a couple gulps of water from my water bottle that i keep near me in case those boobs up front drink up all the drinking water for the staff, which usually happens during the middle of a shift.

At The last restaurant I worked at we had a pretty good system in place. It was set up more or less like your find the "nightly specials" in a neighborhood diner. Each day's meals (we fed the staff before lunch service and then before dinner service) more or less set. For example, Monday's breakfast was oatmeal and fruit smoothies, Tuesday was eggs and hashbrowns. Tuesday lunch was fish stew, every Friday was focaccia pizza day. For the most part, it took away a lot of opportunity for bitching about "I don't eat fish, blah blah blah." Guess what dumbass, It's been fish stew every Tuesday for the last month, eat before you come in!

Of course we'd change it up here and there as needed depending on what had to be used up. But this system was helpful because we had a staff of 20 on a slow day.

ETA: We also had 2 badass prep cooks who made at least half of the staff meals each week.

I've been in all sorts of Family Meal situations. Cooking it ourselves (as line cooks) as a team, alternating which line cook makes it by themselves depending on the day, cafeterias at restaurants in hotels...at the place I'm at now, a sous chef or the chef de cuisine makes it every day, which is great if you ask me. I used to hate having to make dinner for 40+ people while preparing for a booked Saturday night in New York City.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    We actually joke about these vultures all the time. Making CRAAAWWW!! sounds and such.
    lol that is exactly what we do. Damned servers.

only time servers move with a purpose is when there is food available, our family meal is whoever is the most hungry makes enough for everyone. there are usually on 4-5 guys around during the day so it isnt much. at night they have a family meal for the line cooks and servers and the sous makes it. If I have any desserts on the way out or extra bread ill use that or the prep guy will make some eggs and chorizo or whatever other mexican specialty he can assault my stomach with.