Quantcast
Censored name?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Censored name?

Censored name?

Are links to CKtG being blocked? Just curious after the link here.

I've recently made the decision to block all links going to any business related site operated by Chef Knives To Go. This decision was made for several reasons that I will not go into detail over.

Mark Richmond is not, and has not been, welcome here at KKF and now links to his websites are no longer welcome here as well.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Dave

Good to know. I'm guessing this applies to links only and we are still perfectly fine talking about products over there. Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    Good to know. I'm guessing this applies to links only and we are still perfectly fine talking about products over there. Yes?

Yes absolutely, I don't want anyone to censor themselves with regards to talking about knives, etc.

I think you are screwing some of the knife makers on the board because they still have a relationship with Mark and sell their goods through him.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Certainly I agree that any forum owner can do what they like, but it should be considered that blocking anything from said site can directly affect well established and credible contributors on this forum: Rader, Thomas, and potentially more. While I realize this is not a democracy, can't we be a little more laissez faire?

I've considered everything that can be considered in this matter and while I prefer NOT to take this action (as I have since the beginning) I now feel it's the only choice I can make given the circumstances.

I knew that this wouldn't be popular, I knew that it will make me look bad, I know that many vendors work with him and this will not help their efforts but yet I still felt the need to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    I think you are screwing some of the knife makers on the board because they still have a relationship with Mark and sell their goods through him.
    I don't see how this would prevent a maker to post a note on his sup-forum (or a member to post a note for him - it's becoming almost customary) that a particular knife is available at CKTG. To find products on CKTG website is not difficult and one also can call and do the purchase (or be guided to) over the phone.

So I honestly don't see how this would 'screw' anybody.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

*edit *

my bad, there's another thread about my question.
    Last edited by Dave Martell; 06-22-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: I moved this here to keep it all in one place but looks like you edited it. Dave

Marko, it would keep them from doing that, because you can't tell anyone what "CKTG" is, because it looks like this: **************.com

I admittedly forgot that you stated you began this forum with a "small is beautiful" motif, and I whether I agree or not, I don't see anything wrong with that concept. But the thing is, what am I, as a part of this community, supposed to do when the "little guys" equals nobody. I recently tried to suggest someone buy a Tojiro Shirogami Nakiri. In line with this level of censorship, I should have said to myself "boy, there is a great knife for this guy, but too bad I can't tell him about it." because there is one website on the internet that sells it, amongst other things. Is the CCK1303 relegated to an artifact of the good old days, even though someone keeps them in stock?

I get that you don't like him, but his store is one that sells things people want, and some things exclusively.

There are ways of handling this that don't involve you doing to Mark the same kind of thing people did to you before. Heck, post a sticky saying "list of sites we don't like" or something, and explain to new guys why you choose to support businesses as small as possible.

Google "Kitchen knife". He's on the front page. You will never kill his website, there will always be new people here bringing it up, and this issue will never die.

My problem is not that you don't want your forum supporting CKTG, it's that there are things that CKTG has that you, or ANYONE else carries. Want to suggest Chromium Oxide paste? The aforementioned CCK cleaver or Tojiro White Steel Nakiri? Too bad!

I don't like your personal/professional issues affecting this community's ability to grow and be the way it wants, but even if I did, this isn't workable. It's simply not a long-term solution.

*edit* A good example of the kind of thing I was suggesting is Straightrazorplace.com's sticky about Gold Dollar razors.

+ Reply to Thread