Does everything really have to be so complicated???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
Dumb rant here.

I'm trying to study at my desk, but I notice that I can't read half the book sometimes or see what I'm writing because they just glare a butt-tonne. I've tried changing the lamp positions. I can't really bounce off the wall - there's either a window there or dark curtains. Can't bounce off ceiling - small lights, really high ceiling.

Earlier I was doing more reading, but I couldn't prop up the book to read it comfortably. I used some binders to hold it at an angle, but I ended up ordering a book stand for the future. Maybe I'm being absurdly finicky, but for the life of me I can't read for a long time at all if it's just resting flat on the table. It's like trying to use a tablet as a main computer.

Just a couple of things I noticed while trying to get stuff done. There are more. How in the world do other students study? I know for that sure many, many of them do not get their stuff done in ideal environments.

Devils in the details, I now know...

I used to lay in bed on my back and hold my book over my head. Worked for me.

-AJ

I had to study at a desk or table (still do). Beds made me sleepier than the texts already did. I did better skimming through, deriving the equations and working problems using the books, etc. as references. Just getting through a mountain of material just isn't for me. I need to work.

Make friends with the smart kid.

Lefty, that's a good example of 'work smart, not hard'. I'll do that :laugh:

Dumb rant here.

I'm trying to study at my desk, but I notice that I can't read half the book sometimes or see what I'm writing because they just glare a butt-tonne. I've tried changing the lamp positions. I can't really bounce off the wall - there's either a window there or dark curtains. Can't bounce off ceiling - small lights, really high ceiling.

Earlier I was doing more reading, but I couldn't prop up the book to read it comfortably. I used some binders to hold it at an angle, but I ended up ordering a book stand for the future. Maybe I'm being absurdly finicky, but for the life of me I can't read for a long time at all if it's just resting flat on the table. It's like trying to use a tablet as a main computer.

Just a couple of things I noticed while trying to get stuff done. There are more. How in the world do other students study? I know for that sure many, many of them do not get their stuff done in ideal environments.

Devils in the details, I now know...

Depends on what I'm studying, but in general I skim the textbook at best and talk with other students about the concepts, do problems, etc. Just reading the book gets boring quick which is way you're having so much troubling finding the right position; it's great procrastination.

Read somewhere once that the ideal set up is supposed to be a comfortable, but not comfy chair, where you can sit upright. The light should be coming from slightly above and behind you, from the left side if you're a righty, vice-versa if you're not. It can be a PITA, but that's what works for me.

Back