Kramer stropping kit

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the fact that the Kitiyama is $93 there really pisses me off...

I think the important thing here is that the chromium oxide is professional grade :doublethumbsup:

What steels are you going to strop on chromium oxide?

I find felt strop loaded with diamond works better than chromium oxide on 52100 and stainless steels. Size of the Kramer kit is good and value of the kit is good, provided that steel base is precision ground.

Tip - you can get DMT 11.5x2.5" diamond plate (goes up to 1200) and use the plate as a base for your stropping felt with a magnetic backing, as well as for sharpening. You get a perfectly flat surface.

A budged version would be to to glue felt pad to a flat wooden block.

I like chromium on yanagiba. Provides a smoother edge preferable for slicing raw fish. Personal preference.

As a complete newb to the world of knife maintenance and the concept of stropping, this kit looks elegantly designed (replaceable strops! on magnets!) and the price, compared to those fancy straight-razor belt strops, looks to be great value.

The sense I'm getting from the marketing copy, in lieu of actual reviews, is that they are positioning this as the Apple of kitchen knife strops (magnets! easy! awesome and you totally need it!).

There's only one problem with magnetic backed leather:

7fa24545.jpg

Compare it to steel backed leather, like Dave used to sell:

c6b3ddff.jpg

Back