Stories of Love and Despair?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Customfan

Reaction score
Does anyone have funny knife stories?

- Do you love your knife like it was an old friend and give it a unique name?
- Did you loose a kitchen knife that you loved and just lost it moments before they pulled the trigger? Maybe someone bought the knife under them? (No names please!!)
- Was the knife broken as it was in transit?
- Maybe you thought about it too long and when you went to buy it it was gone???
- Did you part ways with your better half and lost your most valuable possession, your kitchen school knife?
:oops:

I lost a heirloom hunting knife when I was a young man, at least I lost it in the woods while hunting.:(

The very first time I ever used the first decent gyuto I ever bought I dropped it. It landed tip down on the ceramic tile floor and broke the tip. :slaphead:

At least I didn't spear one of the wiener dogs.

when i first had a new set of knifes in a nice case was right after high school that my folks gave me . many years later we closed the restaurant for x-mas
and me and my girl were loading up presents and stuff and we went see some friends and give presents .
were pulling things out of " the car hey babe were are my knifes "
i put them on top OH NO .
I was beyond freaked out i got all my friends out of the house to look and drive back nothing . even thou i can buy a new set it wasn't the point
the damage had been done .:bashhead:

when i first had a new set of knifes in a nice case was right after high school that my folks gave me . many years later we closed the restaurant for x-mas
and me and my girl were loading up presents and stuff and we went see some friends and give presents .
were pulling things out of " the car hey babe were are my knifes "
i put them on top OH NO .
I was beyond freaked out i got all my friends out of the house to look and drive back nothing . even thou i can buy a new set it wasn't the point
the damage had been done .:bashhead:

I did something very similar. I was loading up my car and before I had my knife roll I often transported knives in their boxes. It was a dark and rainy evening and I was in a hurry to leave. I had them stacked up really close to the rear door of the car. When I went through my knives later I kept thinking "I'm missing one..." but it never entirely clicked. A couple days later I drove home and found one of my knife boxes laying on the ground next to where I park my car!

The damage to the steel was minor if non existent, but the custom handle suffered in the moist weather and was swollen. I wasn't sure it would ever be the same, but after several days it settled and aside from a couple very minor cracks it's fine. Thank goodness for stabilized woods!

My thought precisely! Good thing they were Stabilized.... Harrowing story on the lost case! Sometimes its more of the sentimental value than the actual cost of knives.... I feel your pain!

I am sorry to hear about the Heirloom hunting knife! At least it was lost in battle! I once lost a folder while camping and I still beat myself over that...

My first knife was a 240 chef's from henckels. Mind, that was the first kinda expensive knife I bought and I kinda treasured it. At school, they decided to send all of our knives to the sharpener for us for a really low price so I went along. Knife came back 'dead'. Edge was grinded ugly as hell, soft as hell cos they used stone wheels w/o water. prolly destroyed the tempering process. And the worst thing, the guy beside me went and chopped up some chicken with it... Ended up as a 'serrated' knife with HUGE serrations.. This prolly caused my major dislike of people using my knives.

ooooooooyyyyyyyyy :pullhair: that story grinds my gears.

Reminds me of something. I had a customer at the sushi bar that showed me his Gerber folder that his boss sharpened for him, and it looked like it was dropped edge-first on a freeway and run over by a train. I begged him to let me fix it, I hate when people have tools that aren't worth owning.

Ever since I was a kid i liked knives, then I got into cooking, then I got shuns which are awesome knives, then for years fantasized about a j-knife.. the hattori kd, finally I found knifeforums, and salty made my dreams come true. I still love that knife is one of my favorites I use it all the time and it makes me very happy.

Back