Japanese Knives Shun Yanagiba Sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just did this one today... thought you guys might enjoy pics ;)

img5378l.jpg

img5380r.jpg

img5381sz.jpg

Big wheel, gesshin 600, gesshin 1200 prototype, gesshin synthetic aoto prototype, gesshin 4k, gesshin 5k, and gesshin 6k

Nice. I've never seen one with a properly ground ura, they've always had a small but obtuse bevel cut into the back.

Looking forward to hearing about that synthetic aoto you're testing.

i'm just waiting on the "synthetic aoto" to get here... i feel like all of my projects are running slow as of late :(

sorry guys

Liking the faux kasumi finish.
Just wondering from your progression whether 4k, 5k, 6k was just because you had them, or other benefits e.g. Speed, consistency etc?

The stones were all used for different things... some on the backside some on the front

I own the same knife. I've owned it for about six years, and I learnt to sharpen about three years ago, needless to say it has been an epic rehabilitation process over the last six months (I'll pull it out every now and again and give it an hour) and it is still a WIP.

I find the steel quite wear resistant, did you find that Jon?

Could someone explain the text I found on Dave's site:

*Note - Shun, Global, MAC, Henckels
Twin Cermax/Miyabi, & Tojiro Zen
single bevel knives may not be able
to be sharpened. We can not tell
one way or the other unless the
knife is in our possession to
examine. This is due to these knives
not being shaped/constructed to
correct Japanese knife form or
possibly the need for additional
work to be performed which may
or may not be able to be done.

I own the same knife. I've owned it for about six years, and I learnt to sharpen about three years ago, needless to say it has been an epic rehabilitation process over the last six months (I'll pull it out every now and again and give it an hour) and it is still a WIP.

I find the steel quite wear resistant, did you find that Jon?

yeah... shun is always a PITA to sharpen

Nice to see a Shun getting the fixes it needed. I bet it's a great knife now!

They're tough. Very tough. I learned how to sharpen single bevel when I "fixed" a Shun yanagi I picked up. Took a lot of time, energy, and not a small bit of frustration to grind away enough metal until that bevel was gone from the ura. Had I known Shun put a double bevel edge on a single bevel knife, I never would have bought it. My DMT plates were purchased largely because of that knife. It's an amazing knife now, though I don't use that one particularly often.

Back