Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cowboy Beans/Blazing Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Sambal View Post
    OK, to compensate for that tasteless lapse, when I was in India I found that cooks there add asafoetida ('hing' in Hindi) to lentil and bean curries. A quarter to half a level teaspoon of 'hing' in the pot brings down the level of flatulence. It works!
    Hmmm....never heard of it being used for that purpose before, that's very interesting. I always heard it was used as a substitute for onions + garlic by Jains b/c they don't eat any vegetables that grow underground.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Is the flavor similar to onions/garlic? Could be a nice addition.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

ummmm...not really, IME.

It's got a sulfurous flavor...but it's a bit more complicated than that, and depends a little on it being prepared properly. You can find it at most indian grocer (as hing, or asafoetida), and sometimes it's even in the local kroger/safeway/whatever in the baking area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

Kind of reminds me of this as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kala_Namak

I know some vegetarians whose diet excludes all bulbs like garlic and onions who use asafoetida as a (sort of) substitute for garlic. I think it does have somewhat of a garlicky flavour when added to hot oil, less so when added to cooking liquids. If you'd like to try it do remember a little goes a long way. I use just half a teaspoon when I'm cooking dhal or any lentil curry. But that's more for its effect on internal combustion engines than for its flavour!

Interesting note about the coffee.

I've always wondered where the cowboys got beef for their chili. It makes no economic sense they would use fresh beef on a cattle drive. My guess is the chuck wagon cook used jerky or canned meat. Conserving resources like you mention with the coffee. It would be an expensive chili today, but I've wanted to try chili made with jerky instead of roast.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    ...My guess is the chuck wagon cook used jerky or canned meat. Conserving resources like you mention with the coffee. It would be an expensive chili today, but I've wanted to try chili made with jerky instead of roast.

-AJ
    Now I've got a Carne Seca craving. Time to go digging for recipes...
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Interesting note about the coffee.

I've always wondered where the cowboys got beef for their chili. It makes no economic sense they would use fresh beef on a cattle drive. My guess is the chuck wagon cook used jerky or canned meat. Conserving resources like you mention with the coffee. It would be an expensive chili today, but I've wanted to try chili made with jerky instead of roast.

-AJ
    Yup, it was a type of jerky...I did some researching a few years back.

Well, they edited out all the fart references in the version that ran today in the print paper. They did run it on the second page of the A section.
    I think they will keep it in the the entertainment weekly that we print.