Quantcast
handle help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handle help

handle help

Hi all,I have been having a go at making wa handles with Nickel Silver spacers, buffalo horn ferrule and hardwood but I cannot get a good adhesion between the horn and the nickel.I have tried 5 minute and slow cure epoxy and jb weld.I also roughed both surfaces and everytime it seems ok until i start to shape the handle and then it separates.Anybody got any suggestions?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Mortise & Tenon is the way to go.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Be sure to clean the surfaces with acetone or the equivalent before applying glue.
    Another day, another band aid.

i will give it a try myself shortly, so i am interested in such kind of questions.

i've read somewhere that pressure is fine, but one should be careful not to apply too much pressure which would press out the epoxy-glue and therefore would lead to poor adhesion... does that make sense?

The metal spacer gets too hot for the glue. Try using a hidden dowell between the ferrule and handle. I use a 1/2" dowell about an 1.5" long.

I had the same question when I first attempted to make a wa handle.
    Here is a link to the help I received.http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...aking-question

Thanks to eveyone for the advice.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Welcome!

Even if use a dowel or M&T joint you can't over heat the epoxy.You will have an ugly joint if the epoxy is burned up.How fast is your sander spinning,that might be your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Even if use a dowel or M&T joint you can't over heat the epoxy.You will have an ugly joint if the epoxy is burned up.How fast is your sander spinning,that might be your problem.
    I have been using a pretty cheap Ryobi combination belt and disc sander.Not sure of the rpm but I suspect this might be the cause of my dramas.The belt doesnt seem to fast but the disc is.I have been using 40 grit for rough shaping-does the higher grit have a propensity to generate more heat.?