Quantcast
Wood Vendors!, links, latest pickups... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wood Vendors!, links, latest pickups...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    If you are new to this, and would like a pro to work on your knives, then seek out Marko, Stefan, or Dave Martell for kickass handles. They all have subforums showcasing their work.
    Does Adam still do handle work too? I thought I saw that he was making handles for Mark's knife, but he definitely has some fabulous handles.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

If Pierre was smart, he would have seen what I was bidding on and outbid me, just so I would be forced to buy another knife from him to end up with the wood after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    I can't bring myself to spend $75 on a set of scales....Dont get me wrong...I think they are amazing, but i am too poor to do that lol.

P.S. I hope i didn't bid against any of you guys this week lol.
    Haha, I have never bid that high in any of his auctions either. Even the ones that end $35 or less are cool. Did you win anything?

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Does Adam still do handle work too? I thought I saw that he was making handles for Mark's knife, but he definitely has some fabulous handles.

k.
    I know he has done handles before, but he has never advertised that he is accepting orders so I left him out. If he (or Mario or anyone else) would like to be added to list I will add them.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Last pieces I got from Craig. Scales on left are a little small, but big enough for a damasteel parer from Pierre!

Some of the stuff from Craig Stevens is so beautiful and when he wasn't all that popular, you could still get some of his work fairly cheaply. Now, though, he has become exceedingly popular and his prices have sky rocketed for most of the really cool stuff. I bid on some, but usually up to the $30 mark and get left far behind. Lately, I've caught myself more interested in buying big chunks (usually what are referred to as "Bowl Blanks" of burls and such...cutting them up, letting them dry and then sending them in for stabilization. You end up with some really nice pieces and the costs are far better...but you have to get 20 blocks of spalted maple burl and 16 blocks of buckeye burl instead of the onsie, twosie pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post

k.
    Yes, I still do. And yes, I'm accepting orders.

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    Some of the stuff from Craig Stevens is so beautiful and when he wasn't all that popular, you could still get some of his work fairly cheaply. Now, though, he has become exceedingly popular and his prices have sky rocketed for most of the really cool stuff. I bid on some, but usually up to the $30 mark and get left far behind. Lately, I've caught myself more interested in buying big chunks (usually what are referred to as "Bowl Blanks" of burls and such...cutting them up, letting them dry and then sending them in for stabilization. You end up with some really nice pieces and the costs are far better...but you have to get 20 blocks of spalted maple burl and 16 blocks of buckeye burl instead of the onsie, twosie pieces.
    Same here. I have limited it to a few sellers by now who often precut things for me. Of course, I will never buy any wood again because I have enough until 2027 That said, does anybody know why on earth people pay these totally absurd prices for Craig's cedar burl? The wood's not even that pretty IMHO.

Stefan

I dont know. It is pretty plain looking. Of all the stuff of his I have seen, it is the cedar burl that looks the most ordinary. Yet it is always the most bid on of the week. For me, his dyed stuff is the coolest, he gets so much color variation and contrasting colored eyes and such. Oh well, glad those are the "cheap" ones and the ones I don't care for go for the real big dollars.

Adam I would add you and a link to the list in the original post but it wont let me edit it anymore. I will see if a mod can help me out.

Also, I have maybe half a dozen unstabilized blocks that I would let to get stabilized. Is this enough to send to WSSI or K&G? Or should I try to lump them together with someone else's order and get them done that way? Never sent anything out to be stabilized before. Thanks.

I think WSSI has a minumum fee of $36 or something like that. I don't remember K&G having a minimum, but I usually get over that easily, so I am not sure. Give them a call.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I will see if a mod can help me out.
    No worries...it matters not to me.

Also, I have maybe half a dozen unstabilized blocks that I would let to get stabilized. Is this enough to send to WSSI or K&G? Or should I try to lump them together with someone else's order and get them done that way? Never sent anything out to be stabilized before. Thanks.
    K&G doesn't have a minimum and might be the best choice for six blocks and they do a good job to boot. WSSI does have a minimum of $36 which amounts to about 3 pounds of product. Do keep in mind that the price per pound from all of them is the stabilized weight. I just got back 9 pounds of material and that equaled 21 blocks and/or pairs of scales. Also, the more that's sent in, the better the price per pound.

I have to get myself some more wood. I've used up most of the stuff I sent out to K&G and it's about time for me to rehandle something!

I have aquired a few pieces as of late. Here are a few pieces of maple i just got

Here are some of the blocks i got from Mark at It's A Burl....Super guy and super nice stuff

Plan on making my first kitchen knife after i finish the sheath for my PIF knife....Might try a Nikiri first...not sure ...either way...I will have it profiled this weekend

+ Reply to Thread