got stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSChief

Reaction score
first UPS box arrived, a Bester 1200 & Suehiro 5000. My initial reaction after seeing & feeling these 2 stones, was guilt & shame for my crimes against humanity
for ever putting my knives to the Black Crystolon abominations in my Norton IM-313. have a base & diamond flattening plate en-route. Was thinking about getting a naniwa chosera 600 to augment the 2 I have.

opinions requested here?

And do I really need anything above the 5000, since this is just for home use.

Although just my opinion, I would consider the Chosera 400 instead of the 600. Although I like the 600, the Bester 1200 is fast/aggressive enough to refine the edge from the 400 easily. And the chosera 400 will afford you a faster bevel set/thinning than the chosera 600.

I can't give any opinions on the upper end because I only use J-nats above 3k.

Regards,
Chris

You won't *need* anything above 5k, no. That might not stop you from thinking about getting something above 5k though.

I think you have a really good start there. You may want a coarse stone later on for when you're doing repairs or to cut new bevels faster. I haven't tried the Chosera 600 but the Beston 500 is an excellent and very economical coarse stone. The Gesshin 400 is also very nice but costs a little more than the Beston, if I remember correctly.

You won't *need* anything above 5k, no. That might not stop you from thinking about getting something above 5k though.

I think you have a really good start there. You may want a coarse stone later on for when you're doing repairs or to cut new bevels faster. I haven't tried the Chosera 600 but the Beston 500 is an excellent and very economical coarse stone. The Gesshin 400 is also very nice but costs a little more than the Beston, if I remember correctly.

The Benton is not available, thats why I did'nt go with DM's 3 stone set, will check out the Chosera

Gesshin 400 for a low grit stone. Awesome!

Gesshin 400 for a low grit stone. Awesome!

+1. I much prefer the gesshin 400 to the beston 500. Though the beston is no slouch either. Both are great IMHO, the gesshin is just better.

Back