Quantcast
Cheap way to practice sharpening on single bevel knives? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap way to practice sharpening on single bevel knives?

White steel (especially #1) has less alloying elements and is a bit easier to move into shape with the stones, I'd consider this option if you have the choice in the price range you can afford.

I'd say avoid the cheapo option. Get something of decent quality to start off with and you will have a much more rewarding experience. It should be easier to sharpen than a garbage $30 yanagi. Most of them aren't really single bevel anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    White steel (especially #1) has less alloying elements and is a bit easier to move into shape with the stones, I'd consider this option if you have the choice in the price range you can afford.
    Are there any benefits to the blue steel? I think the Yoshihiro blue steel option is the hongasumi one as UglyJoe said, which is about a 1/3 more expensive. I'm just leaning towards the cheaper option because of the price.

Knife Sharpening

Hi heirkb! Have you tried steeling? It's compatible for all types of knives, you just have to maintain the required angles between the knife and the steel. Got a sample video here. Enjoy!

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    .... Ugh ...

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Are there any benefits to the blue steel? I think the Yoshihiro blue steel option is the hongasumi one as UglyJoe said, which is about a 1/3 more expensive. I'm just leaning towards the cheaper option because of the price.
    The blue steel should have slightly more wear resistance than the white steel, but extra cost of the hongasumi is also due to the better f and f + octagonal handle.

Quote Originally Posted by MelaniePalmero View Post
    Hi heirkb! Have you tried steeling? It's compatible for all types of knives, you just have to maintain the required angles between the knife and the steel. Got a sample video here. Enjoy!
    First off, Melanie, welcome to KKF. I hope you stick around.

But I have to say that the video you posted, as well as your advice, is massively under-informed. You simply cannot steel "all types of knives", especially harder, more brittle knives like the traditional Japanese single-bevel blades being discussed here. Harder knives can be honed on a smooth ceramic or glass rod, and can benefit from stropping, just like a hardened steel straight razor. The grind on a traditional single-bevel is not in any way suited to steeling, a honing rod should never, EVER touch a true single-bevel.

Also, I found it laughable that the guy in that video asserted that sharpening is "done by something like this" and held up a giant grinding machine, the likes of which I'd never put any tools I care about into. Sharpening is best left to caring hobbyists and professional sharpeners, but if your pro sharpener is shoving your knives into something like that and handing them back to you, I'd suggest you find someone who knows what they are doing.

Very eloquently said.

Wow. "Chef" Phil is --- interesting. And that grinder he held up---also "interesting".
    How does an oval honing rod "automatically" provide a 22º angle? Magic magnetic impellduction??
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Chef Phil also posted this in a long-dead thread on FF, some sort of drive-by self promoting spammer. Bad information that I doubt he will return to defend.

¿Dónde está el supresión?