Quantcast
Heiji Gyuto Carbon vs Semi-Stainless - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heiji Gyuto Carbon vs Semi-Stainless

that's more or less correct, but i grind from the shinogi line to the edge, then give the right side a small amount of convexity (the left side stays flat) a good bit above the edge (the goal is to add convexity but not to thicken the edge), and then i apply a small bevel to the edge. i apply very little convexity, it's not much at all. i think your stone lineup sounds just fine.

Thank you, EdipisReks!
    Fudoushin Bujinkan Dojo: http://fudoushin.com/

Just want to say that a little change in technique I learned for honing razors has my Heijis sharper than ever before. So im up to a 10,000 grit edge that still has some tooth and cuts like a dream. So I take back what I said about not seeing improvements past 5,000 grit. Hope you enjoy your knives yamabushi, I know I do.

Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    Just want to say that a little change in technique I learned for honing razors has my Heijis sharper than ever before. So im up to a 10,000 grit edge that still has some tooth and cuts like a dream. So I take back what I said about not seeing improvements past 5,000 grit. Hope you enjoy your knives yamabushi, I know I do.
    Cheers G-rat! Good info! I just got back to Japan from 3 weeks in Europe so sorry about the delay in responding. I've got more than a few things to get sorted around the house here first, and then I'll start working on setting up a trip to the Heiji workshop. It'll probably be at least 4-8 weeks, but I'll definitely report back once things get moving.

Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    Care to share with the class??? I'm always up for new techniques to improve my edges.

Quick Update

Being a stay-at-home dad with two boys (3.5yr and 1.5yr), time slipped away from me there a bit. Sorry for the delay! I wasn't able to find enough time to actually get away to go visit the workshop, but I did, however, take action and place an order via e-mail. Here is what I ordered:

- Gyuto semi-stainless 250-255mm with octagonal ho wood handle + saya
    - Petty semi-stainless 125-130mm with D-shape ho wood handle + saya

Additionally, I asked for slightly thinner geometry and for the spine & choil to be eased. Although I imagine I would have been happy with carbon, I went with the SS after the strong endorsements of both EdipisReks and G-rat. Regarding blade length with the gyuto, I currently already have two gyuto, one measures 235mm from heel to tip and the other is 270mm. One feels a little small and the other just a little big. I wanted something firmly in the middle of those two. With the petty, I wanted something that wouldn't be too unwieldy for a some occasional peeling and paring work so I went with a small-medium size. I was informed my order would take about 3 months.

A sincere thank you to everyone for all the input and guidance! I will definitely follow-up once I receive the finished products!

Cheers,
    Pete

Also to mention, Heiji makes a KU finish on their carbon knives as well, I wasn't aware of it until I found one to purchase. My 150mm petty is very nice, but I'm not sure that I'll keep it only because I think stainless suits my kitchen a bit better. Still I really like the Heiji look, very much like a single bevel knife, and of course the steel is amazing.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Im happy this thread got brought back. Quite the detailed info here.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    Im happy this thread got brought back. Quite the detailed info here.
    Agreed, a lot of good information! That being said, I am definitely hungry for more. I'm especially interested in hearing about people's Heiji specific sharpening experience and technique!

I just got Heiji santoku in Semi-Stainless and after the first use (I made a salad) the core steel patinaed. So I am wondering if such fast patina is normal for his SS?

+ Reply to Thread