Suggested angle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This weekend I'm going to put a new, thinner, edge on my Artifex. I bought it because it was cheap and I wanted to try out AEB-L steel. It does have flaws in the grind and I'm not sold on the profile but in any case I'm going to thin the edge to see how the steel performs. I do most of my thinning and reprofile work on my Edge Pro so I'm wondering how low an angle this steel can handle and not require touch-up too frequently. Keep in mind I am a home cook but have a knife in my hand for prep every night. Last night was a orange-asian pork stew so I cut up 4lbs of pork roast, chopped garlic, sectioned three oranges, chopped onions, etc. Obviously not much compared to many of you but I do want to see how far the AEB-L can be taken angle-wise.

I do all my cutting on a edge grain Boos block and also don't let my wife or son abuse the knifes so it stays sharp for some lenght of time.

Going to a lower angle isn't going to improve the performance much if you don't thin behind the edge and change the geometry of the blade. I have an Edge Pro, and I'm not at all sure that you can go low enough to do this thinning, as you will be working at angles less than ten degrees. I tried with mine, and gave up. You may well have to do it as I did - freehand. Paint the lower two-thirds of the blade with magic marker so you can see where you are grinding, lay the blade flat on the stone and raise it slightly until you are removing steel on the bottom half of the blade. Work your way down, not quite to the edge, raising the angle slightly as you approach the edge.

Once you have thinned behind the edge, a fifteen degree cutting edge should work very well, combining performance with durability. The key is to thin behind the edge.

Rick

Latest posts

Back