Quantcast
Looking for help in Stereo Speaker selection - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help in Stereo Speaker selection

In regards to the Wharfedales, is the actual woofer busted or just the gasket around the woofer? I'm not a high end stereo kind of guy, but have easily replaced the gaskets on a pair of 15" woofers of my own.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Thanks for the great details!!!

I have 2 Onkyos. My personal den model is a TX-38 I bought in high school around 1986. So, I like Onkyo. Really any of the three receivers could be used I just already have the Pioneer sitting on the dresser. My plan is not a home theater system. I'm not connecting the TV or DVD player. Nor is it a full sound system. Rather than buying new CD player I plan on hooking up my old instantly obsolete Phillips CDR880 player. And that's it. No turntable. With rare exception I only listen to MP3s with ear buds. I've never connected my player to my stereo though I suppose I could one day.

Music tastes run the full gamut. I have foolishly acquired some 2000 CDs. Current rotation is Drivin' N' Cryin', Golden Earring, Susan Tedeschi, The White Stripes, Television and when I get in the mood Dave Brubeck or Dave Gould.

All of the speakers in my list are used off eBay. Like I said, an opportunity to hear anything in person is not available so experienced advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, all of these are in the $150 range delivered.

Thanks!

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by tgraypots View Post
    In regards to the Wharfedales, is the actual woofer busted or just the gasket around the woofer? I'm not a high end stereo kind of guy, but have easily replaced the gaskets on a pair of 15" woofers of my own.
    Hi Tom,

I can't see any sign of tears, rips, rot, etc. They really still look brand new, just no sound comes out of the woofer, just the tweeter.

-AJ

Can you check the wiring going to the woofers? I would look around inside the speaker enclosure. There may be a removeable plate where the speaker terminals are located, or you should be able to remove the woofer fasteners and pull the woofer out. Don't give up on them yet.

I could be wrong, but I believe the enclosures on those are sealed....and removing the terminals is probably a bad idea, as it could lead to an entirely non working speaker.

But, if they are the woofers should have 3-5 screws holding them in. Just unscrew them and carefully lift out the sub.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Can you check the wiring going to the woofers? I would look around inside the speaker enclosure. There may be a removeable plate where the speaker terminals are located, or you should be able to remove the woofer fasteners and pull the woofer out. Don't give up on them yet.
    At Death's Door You Only Have 2 choices. Die Happy or Die Regretfully.
    Knowing this...........Choose 1 and Live!!!!!!!!!

If you are set on replacing your speakers, you are going to need to match the individual speaker set to the receiver. Onkyo tends to be bright and nasally, accentuating the upper mid and high frequencies, while Pioneer tends to be very mellow and a bit muddling on the low end receivers. Assuming you are not going to be using a separate amplifier, all 3 receivers you listed are slightly under powered depending on the room size you are looking at putting it in, so regardless you will need a speaker set that is easy to drive with low constant input. Here are my humble suggestions from what I know of the receivers and the speaker sets you listed.

WD3- Either Onkyo

WD 6R- pioneer

Mirage- STAY AWAY

NHT- Pioneer or Onkyo---leaning toward onkyo because these are not known to have the best mid to high separation- so they may be muddled with the pioneer

MB (Either Set)- Too hard to drive- you will need better receivers or an external amplifier, or you will probably regret it.

To give you some other input. Ohm rating is a measure of the speaker impedance. While the listed sensitivity (db) is a measure of driver efficiency.

For instance, if a speaker is 86db @ 6ohms or 87dB @ 8ohms, both will be relatively hard to drive. Keep in mind when looking at speaker sets, for approximately every 3db increase of sensitivity, you are doubling output per line watt and thus lowering the power requirement for driving the speaker.

Hope this helps,
    Chris
    At Death's Door You Only Have 2 choices. Die Happy or Die Regretfully.
    Knowing this...........Choose 1 and Live!!!!!!!!!

A small bookshelf speaker that used to be known as being a bang for the buck was the Minimus-7 from Radio Shack. They don't sell them any more, but you can pick up a pair on eBay for not too much $$. Hubby is the pick one in the speaker department, and we have a couple of sets. Very nice sound for little speakers.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Oh they are easy to take out. Four screw on the front and lift right out. Wiring looks good to my eye. I don't see any breaks. Terminals look good. Everything looks very clean.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by cwrightthruya View Post
    If you are set on replacing your speakers, you are going to need to match the individual speaker set to the receiver. Onkyo tends to be bright and nasally, accentuating the upper mid and high frequencies, while Pioneer tends to be very mellow and a bit muddling on the low end receivers. Assuming you are not going to be using a separate amplifier, all 3 receivers you listed are slightly under powered depending on the room size you are looking at putting it in, so regardless you will need a speaker set that is easy to drive with low constant input. Here are my humble suggestions from what I know of the receivers and the speaker sets you listed.

WD3- Either Onkyo

WD 6R- pioneer

Mirage- STAY AWAY

NHT- Pioneer or Onkyo---leaning toward onkyo because these are not known to have the best mid to high separation- so they may be muddled with the pioneer

MB (Either Set)- Too hard to drive- you will need better receivers or an external amplifier, or you will probably regret it.

To give you some other input. Ohm rating is a measure of the speaker impedance. While the listed sensitivity (db) is a measure of driver efficiency.

For instance, if a speaker is 86db @ 6ohms or 87dB @ 8ohms, both will be relatively hard to drive. Keep in mind when looking at speaker sets, for approximately every 3db increase of sensitivity, you are doubling output per line watt and thus lowering the power requirement for driving the speaker.

Hope this helps,
    Chris
    Chris could you explain what too hard to drive means? My college days are long behind me so I was looking for something to provide back ground music in the bed room. No keg parties. I don't foresee me cranking these trying to send music through the whole house. But that might not be at all what you mean. The room is approximately 20 x 15.

Thanks,

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    A small bookshelf speaker that used to be known as being a bang for the buck was the Minimus-7 from Radio Shack. They don't sell them any more, but you can pick up a pair on eBay for not too much $$. Hubby is the pick one in the speaker department, and we have a couple of sets. Very nice sound for little speakers.
    The top of the line PSB bookshelf are hard to beat at the price.As you know speaker position is important,because of the way soundwaves travel.

About 10 yrs. ago I wanted to get floor speakers for music & watching Movies.I am no audio expert.Took 3 CD's Classical Barouqe chamber,Female vocal Tracy Chapman,& Dire Straits/Communique.Went to the Audio stores & listened to at least a dozen sets of floors.Ended up getting the Black PSB floors because to me they sounded the best.Never regretted that purchase.

My friend was going to buy the upper end Boise system,I suggested a Audio store hard to find these days.We found a guy who only sells PSB's.He ended getting the upper end shelf speakers & a good base unit.To me it sounds way better than any Boise system.