Quantcast
Ramen-esque
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramen-esque

Ramen-esque

From speaker advice to ramen advice.

I don't know a lot about ramen except for the 10 for $10 packages at my local grocery (I prefer to drain the water and then stir in the spice packet. I don't really care for them as a soup). But about every three months I can sometimes make it to the big city to one of the international farmers markets. Last time I was there I was overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of different brands and kinds in an entire aisle. Most of them I can't even read. From the US, Korea, Thailand, and of course Japan. I think many of you enjoy these and I think they are popular in their home countries. I'm not even sure all of them were ramen or noodles. Just instant meals in a bowl.

I bought one from Myojo, imported from Japan) that was ok but not knock my socks off. It was a mustard/mayo soy sauce thing. I left the dried vegetable packet out. I also bought a "gourmet spicy" one from Nongshim, product of the USA, that was better.

Rather than playing hit and miss with the few trips I get to make to the city, can anyone recommend some favorites that I can be on the look out for next time I get the opportunity?

Thanks!!!

-AJ

I really enjoy using the nongshim spicy as a base and I then add the veggies/protein that I want. I do prefer the Black label they have though, it's about twice the price but I find its quality makes up for the price, don't forget to add an egg yolk really makes the whole thing pop!

I had no idea about adding an egg yolk. See, this is why I ask even if I feel silly doing so. Thanks!

-AJ

Myojo is my favorite brand. It sounds like you got there mustard/mayo Yakasoba, which is actually pretty popular, but I prefer there soups.

I like dressing mine up with a boiled eggs and Chinese BBQ pork.

I wrote a little story about dressing up instant ramen a while back.

Oh, and in case you missed it. A UC Davis grad who ate way to much ramen in school has come up with the Rapid Ramen Cooker.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread... I don't know the first thing about ramen, except that I like eating it. Im also looking to learn more & pick up some pointers. The pictures above have me heading to the store & I haven't eaten breakfast yet!

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    From speaker advice to ramen advice.

I don't know a lot about ramen except for the 10 for $10 packages at my local grocery (I prefer to drain the water and then stir in the spice packet. I don't really care for them as a soup). But about every three months I can sometimes make it to the big city to one of the international farmers markets. Last time I was there I was overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of different brands and kinds in an entire aisle. Most of them I can't even read. From the US, Korea, Thailand, and of course Japan. I think many of you enjoy these and I think they are popular in their home countries. I'm not even sure all of them were ramen or noodles. Just instant meals in a bowl.

I bought one from Myojo, imported from Japan) that was ok but not knock my socks off. It was a mustard/mayo soy sauce thing. I left the dried vegetable packet out. I also bought a "gourmet spicy" one from Nongshim, product of the USA, that was better.

Rather than playing hit and miss with the few trips I get to make to the city, can anyone recommend some favorites that I can be on the look out for next time I get the opportunity?

Thanks!!!

-AJ
    next time you are in the big city look for these http://www.ramenramenramen.net/wp-images/P1000026.JPG they are fresh noodles much less fat content. [10%]
    i went on a ramen quest after reading momofuku cook book and takashi's noodles.. make my own stock and freeze ... makes a great quick dinner , not as fast as instant but with a poaced egg , some left over meat maybe some tofu and a handfull of frozen bagged spinach it is real comfort food .
    Last edited by lowercasebill; 01-27-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: cant tpye or spell

I personally like the udon packets better. Definitely add the egg and some protein. I like sambal or sriracha.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I personally like the udon packets better. Definitely add the egg and some protein. I like sambal or sriracha.
    i got a pack of them as well at assi today.. i wish mitsuwa was not so far. i even put some corn in the last bowl like hokkaido ramen .

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Or you can turn cooked ramen into gnocci. Thatll get anyones attention.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    Or you can turn cooked ramen into gnocci. Thatll get anyones attention.
    How do you do that?