Ramen-esque

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhuff

Banned
Reaction score
From speaker advice to ramen advice. :bigeek:

I don't know a lot about ramen except for the 10 for $10 packages at my local grocery (I prefer to drain the water and then stir in the spice packet. I don't really care for them as a soup). But about every three months I can sometimes make it to the big city to one of the international farmers markets. Last time I was there I was overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of different brands and kinds in an entire aisle. Most of them I can't even read. From the US, Korea, Thailand, and of course Japan. I think many of you enjoy these and I think they are popular in their home countries. I'm not even sure all of them were ramen or noodles. Just instant meals in a bowl.

I bought one from Myojo, imported from Japan) that was ok but not knock my socks off. It was a mustard/mayo soy sauce thing. I left the dried vegetable packet out. I also bought a "gourmet spicy" one from Nongshim, product of the USA, that was better.

Rather than playing hit and miss with the few trips I get to make to the city, can anyone recommend some favorites that I can be on the look out for next time I get the opportunity?

Thanks!!!

-AJ

I really enjoy using the nongshim spicy as a base and I then add the veggies/protein that I want. I do prefer the Black label they have though, it's about twice the price but I find its quality makes up for the price, don't forget to add an egg yolk really makes the whole thing pop!

I had no idea about adding an egg yolk. See, this is why I ask even if I feel silly doing so. Thanks!

-AJ

Myojo is my favorite brand. It sounds like you got there mustard/mayo Yakasoba, which is actually pretty popular, but I prefer there soups.

I like dressing mine up with a boiled eggs and Chinese BBQ pork.

fNwxW.St.117.jpg

17AP4L.St.117.jpg

jENVe.St.117.jpg

Rek5t.St.117.jpg

JcQZi.St.117.jpg

I wrote a little story about dressing up instant ramen a while back.

Oh, and in case you missed it. A UC Davis grad who ate way to much ramen in school has come up with the Rapid Ramen Cooker.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread... I don't know the first thing about ramen, except that I like eating it. Im also looking to learn more & pick up some pointers. The pictures above have me heading to the store & I haven't eaten breakfast yet!

From speaker advice to ramen advice. :bigeek:

I don't know a lot about ramen except for the 10 for $10 packages at my local grocery (I prefer to drain the water and then stir in the spice packet. I don't really care for them as a soup). But about every three months I can sometimes make it to the big city to one of the international farmers markets. Last time I was there I was overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of different brands and kinds in an entire aisle. Most of them I can't even read. From the US, Korea, Thailand, and of course Japan. I think many of you enjoy these and I think they are popular in their home countries. I'm not even sure all of them were ramen or noodles. Just instant meals in a bowl.

I bought one from Myojo, imported from Japan) that was ok but not knock my socks off. It was a mustard/mayo soy sauce thing. I left the dried vegetable packet out. I also bought a "gourmet spicy" one from Nongshim, product of the USA, that was better.

Rather than playing hit and miss with the few trips I get to make to the city, can anyone recommend some favorites that I can be on the look out for next time I get the opportunity?

Thanks!!!

-AJ

next time you are in the big city look for these http://www.ramenramenramen.net/wp-images/P1000026.JPG they are fresh noodles much less fat content. [10%]
i went on a ramen quest after reading momofuku cook book and takashi's noodles.. make my own stock and freeze ... makes a great quick dinner , not as fast as instant but with a poaced egg , some left over meat maybe some tofu and a handfull of frozen bagged spinach it is real comfort food .

Last edited:
I personally like the udon packets better. Definitely add the egg and some protein. I like sambal or sriracha.

Someone watched Mind Of a Chef too, lol. Good show. I tried it, but they turned out gummy. I think I over worked the "dough."

How do you do that?
Ask David Chang.
Someone watched Mind Of a Chef too, lol. Good show. I tried it, but they turned out gummy. I think I over worked the "dough."
Yeah that whole series on Chang was sweet. I haven't tried yet. Id guess it has a lot to do with not overcooking the noodles and cooling them down fast enough.

Probably did over cook the noodles. I'll have to try again

Man! Just had a creamy chicken top ramen with jalapeno cheese johnsonville sausages cup up into it, finished with a splash of milk. Havent had ramen in a while, this was better than i remember!

Back