Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner setup in UK. AKA: What else to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
    You don't really need the beston 500, just go with Bester 1200, Rika 5k and atoma 140 if you can afford it, you can also use sand paper to flatten your stones.
    The Rika 5k seems to be unavailable in the EU and shipping makes it quite expensive to obtain from elsewhere. I also can't find the Beston 500 anywhere. The Bester 1200, I can find as well as the standard Suehiros and the Sigma Select II stones. Naniwas and Kings seem to be the most widely available stones on this side of the atlantic. I am considering the Chosera 400,1k,5k setup with an Atoma 140 for flatening the stones. What do the other European members use/recommend?

You can get the Beston 500 and the Atoma 140 from Maxim at JNS, who is an awesome vendor here. He is based in Denmark. The JNS 1000 is highly recommended so maybe you could try it too?

After using lots of stones my preferred progression is chosera 400 1k 5k, they are really nice stones, quick cutting, good feedback and slow wearing.
    The Lamplig boards from Ikea are pretty good, and all I used until I got my awesome Boardsmith.
    I will use a plastic board for meat still as I like being able to bleach it every now and again.

There are some end grain board makers in the UK I'll have a hunt for the links.

Whilst learning to sharpen you may not have the best edges, but if you follow the basics of forming an even burr then removing it you should have a sharp edge.

I'd leave the 5k stone for now as the 1k will be plenty to learn on.

I would suggest the 800 instead of the 1k - more versatility - and prefer the 3k over the 5k for a less experienced user.

look for bluewayjapan at ebay, he got both stones with good shipping price.

How about custom duties and handling costs?

you can email Keiichi to ask, but i paid 29$ for shipping.
    you can also ask Keiichi to write a lower value for custom duties but i didn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    About the separate boards for meat and veggies, to me that makes as much sense as having a separate set of hands for each of them!
    Sorry, but that makes total sense unless all you make is one pot meat/veg stews or curries. In some religions it is a requirement to have complete seperate preparation areas. Although it might have been inspired by the desire to make and look at more end grain boards, I've got three. One for meat/fish, one for vegetables including onions and other "smellies" and one purely for fruit and non smellie veggies. Obviously they're relatively small boards. Don't know about you but I've never been able to keep the stale onion smell out of any board.

I bought stones from Keiichi before and didn't have to pay any import fees or anything at all

Quote Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
    you can email Keiichi to ask, but i paid 29$ for shipping.
    you can also ask Keiichi to write a lower value for custom duties but i didn't do that.
    Don't know what you bought but from Keiichi (Bluewayjapan) a knife will cost you $4 and a stone $16 US to ship virtually anywhere in the world. No customs or other duties. At least not to Australia.