Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner setup in UK. AKA: What else to buy?

What about the stones from JCK?

Quote Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
    Don't know what you bought but from Keiichi (Bluewayjapan) a knife will cost you $4 and a stone $16 US to ship virtually anywhere in the world. No customs or other duties. At least not to Australia.
    Bester 1200 and Rika 5k with base. In Finland you have to pay 23% customs if you package is over 40€ even if it came as a gift. but that didn't matter because it was only 25€ extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
    Don't know what you bought but from Keiichi (Bluewayjapan) a knife will cost you $4 and a stone $16 US to ship virtually anywhere in the world. No customs or other duties. At least not to Australia.
    Be aware that any goods imported into the UK over the value of £15 will attract VAT and a Royal Mail handling fee.I sent my dad a Christmas present and he had to pay £24 to get it released.You can ask the vendor to put a nominal value of £10 and you should be ok.
    Check out Nisbets for chopping boards.They are,or used to be the biggest commercial supplier in the UK ofcookery equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
    Bester 1200 and Rika 5k with base. In Finland you have to pay 23% customs if you package is over 40€ even if it came as a gift. but that didn't matter because it was only 25€ extra.
    Wow...that puts the skids on e-bay purchases in Finland.

I wonder if some places like JCK would put a $10 sample on customs and that way you'd avoid those charges.

Not that I've done that a few times in the past and never been charged.

course, I havent.

i'm sure koki would be willing to oblige you. =D

i plan to do the same. hehe.

he actually undervalues his stuff so you don't get charged a lot.

Ya Koki and Keiichi will do it if you request. both did it for me before

Biggest problems i have is when i buy some camera lenses, 23% hurts

I bought some items from Koki few times and I never had to pay any custom duty fee except the last one. I bought Nakiri and petty Furinkazan and there was only few dollars on the box but I had to pay very little custom fee (not much) and handling fee which was about 10£. I still don't understand why I had to pay it. Customs in UK are bad...

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    You can get the Beston 500 and the Atoma 140 from Maxim at JNS, who is an awesome vendor here. He is based in Denmark. The JNS 1000 is highly recommended so maybe you could try it too?
    Cheers. I think I will get the Beston and the atoma from Maxim and the Bestor from fine-tools.com. Am I right that I shouldn't really use a higher grit stone until I get the hang of the 1200? I will probably see if I can finish on my coticule first and if not, then I will look into getting a finishing stone for my knives. Any tips on learning to sharpen freehand?
    Yeah, UK customs are a PITA. To be fair I have only been hit for the VAT on imports on about 20% of the stuff I have bought from overseas but I would still prefer to buy from within the EU if I can get the same stuff. Japan seems to be the best country to import from. Never had a problem with anything coming from there, but maybe that's just a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Any tips on learning to sharpen freehand?
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...B&feature=plcp

Cheers!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right