Quantcast
How's this shape look?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's this shape look?

How's this shape look?

From drawing in the morning to reality in the evening, i have been wanting to make this shape for awhile now. Forged from 1095, it's got a hamon I need to bring out but I saw it after hardening, very nice and straight and looks real good. I call it maybe, Hari Sasu, for needle stab LOL. Tapers from where the handle meets the blade, thickest is 9/32", 11 1/4" overall, 4 3/8" handle 6 3/4" blade, 1 5/8" wide at the base of the blade.

Thank you Pig, for turning vegetables into bacon, you are magic

Cool!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    too pointy for my taste but I am no pro.

Yep, too pointy and a little curve to the profile would help, but I am not pro either. Just home cook.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Pokey. Would work nice in honesuki type situations. Prob great for tackling silverskin on a tenderloin. And I like the thin shape of the handle. Dont see too many western handles like that.

Its also to pointy for me, and Im also no pro.
    Its more like a fighting/stabbing knife than a kitchen knife

Something to think about with tips......Let's say you're slicing a tomato and using the tip portion of the knife to do so. As you slice and repeat you use your fingers as a guide. Usually a knucke or nail. If the tip is too narrow there isn't enough blade to guide and you're going to have to be very carefull not to shave knuckle.

Too pointy IMO. I think its more like a too drastic slope from the heel to the tip.

Yeah, it's kinda pointy, but for cleaning proteins I like that.
    As long as it wasn't hardened so much where tip breakage would be a persistant issue. I do like the handle shape very much.
    What style of grind are you going with?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Something to think about with tips......Let's say you're slicing a tomato and using the tip portion of the knife to do so. As you slice and repeat you use your fingers as a guide. Usually a knucke or nail. If the tip is too narrow there isn't enough blade to guide and you're going to have to be very carefull not to shave knuckle.
    +11

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com