How's this shape look?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam salvati

BlacksmithinMan
Reaction score
From drawing in the morning to reality in the evening, i have been wanting to make this shape for awhile now. Forged from 1095, it's got a hamon I need to bring out but I saw it after hardening, very nice and straight and looks real good. I call it maybe, Hari Sasu, for needle stab LOL. Tapers from where the handle meets the blade, thickest is 9/32", 11 1/4" overall, 4 3/8" handle 6 3/4" blade, 1 5/8" wide at the base of the blade.

224038_1960895273018_1561909122_2149315_2483782_n.jpg

222910_1960895233017_1561909122_2149314_6171148_n.jpg

227201_1960895193016_1561909122_2149313_127223_n.jpg

224038_1960895273018_1561909122_2149315_2483782_n.jpg

Yep, too pointy and a little curve to the profile would help, but I am not pro either. Just home cook.

Pokey. Would work nice in honesuki type situations. Prob great for tackling silverskin on a tenderloin. And I like the thin shape of the handle. Dont see too many western handles like that.

Its also to pointy for me, and Im also no pro.
Its more like a fighting/stabbing knife than a kitchen knife :)

Something to think about with tips......Let's say you're slicing a tomato and using the tip portion of the knife to do so. As you slice and repeat you use your fingers as a guide. Usually a knucke or nail. If the tip is too narrow there isn't enough blade to guide and you're going to have to be very carefull not to shave knuckle.

Too pointy IMO. I think its more like a too drastic slope from the heel to the tip.

Yeah, it's kinda pointy, but for cleaning proteins I like that.
As long as it wasn't hardened so much where tip breakage would be a persistant issue. I do like the handle shape very much.
What style of grind are you going with?

Something to think about with tips......Let's say you're slicing a tomato and using the tip portion of the knife to do so. As you slice and repeat you use your fingers as a guide. Usually a knucke or nail. If the tip is too narrow there isn't enough blade to guide and you're going to have to be very carefull not to shave knuckle.

+11

As long as it wasn't hardened so much where tip breakage would be a persistant issue.

Thats my main issue with pointy knives. Also, how flexible is it gonna be at the first 10mm-20mm or so?

I think tips that are that pointed are useful with smaller (paring) knives, but I’m not sure why it would benefit other types of knives. Personally, I’d would be worried about it being too fragile for a honesuki / boning tasks, or as saltydog said too hard to control when doing tip cutting with a petty or gyuto.

Just a thin slice across the knuckle...............

I have more trouble shaving knuckles when it is the heel area of the blade, on a really tall food, like half a cantaloupe. Of course, it always happens when I'm in a hurry.

I have more trouble shaving knuckles when it is the heel area of the blade, on a really tall food, like half a cantaloupe. Of course, it always happens when I'm in a hurry.

thats what usually happens to me as well

It looks cool as heck; that being said, I would be concerned with wrist angle when the blade is flat on the board; the downward handle angle may lead to quick fatigue.

Back