Quantcast
Moritaka kiritsuke 240mm passaround - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Moritaka kiritsuke 240mm passaround

Not for me to say, altho I know that Ig nor myself have the ability to do that, so that won't get done by us. Guess it's up to the owner

the thinning is something i can do easily enough, i just need the time to do it.

@EdipisReks: Hold on to the knife and thin it, and good luck on finals!

1. tk59 - San Diego
    2. crimedog72 - Washington
    3. Vertigo - Montana
    4. Crothcipt - Wyoming
    5. physiognomy - Colorado
    6. EdipisReks - Ohio [Current location of the kiritsuke]
    7. rahimlee54 - North Carolina
    8. Jmadams13 - Pennsylvania
    9. vicv - Ontario CA
    10. Igasho - Victoria BC
    11. Notaskinnychef - Victoria BC
    12. pleue - Oregon
    13. ayeung74 - Texas
    14. toddnmd - Maryland

Great, don, and thanks!

I think that was the right choice, Don. ER does very nice work. That style of grind really ought to be thinned a little with every sharpening of the primary bevels. I really enjoyed the knife! It is probably the nicest kiritsuke-tip gyuto I've ever used. There was a slight hole in the edge when I got it which is common with such flat profiled blades and it didn't really bother me, to be completely honest. I don't use the area near the heal of a gyuto unless I'm starting a slice and so I didn't have any board contact issues. Edge retention was really good. The blade was straight and the grind, although a little rough, did not have the type of grind issues as some of the Moritakas described in other threads. On top of that, it's a great conversation piece. I kid you not: every person that walked past the cutting board that week had to ask me about it.

thanks for the kind words, Tinh. i have the knife about half way there, and will finish up this weekend. even the way it is now, it's rather nice.

done with the knife. fixed the hole in the edge towards the heel, which immediately opened up a hole further down the blade. looking at the grind, there are some inconsistencies all the way from the heel to the half way point. i ended up raising the heel slightly, which fixed the issue from a functional standpoint, though it's not resolved completely. i think two or three careful sharpenings would fix the issue, but that is more steel than i'm willing to take off on a knife i don't own (if it were my knife, i would take 1.5mm off the height, and then re-thin the entire knife). i didn't make it as thin at the edge as i would if it were mine, but i figured that making it slightly more robust was smart, given that it's only halfway through the passaround. at this point, it cuts much better than it did when i got it, and it doesn't accordion food at the heel, until you try to make it do so, so i'm satisfied. the main problem is that the knife is just too flat. from pics of other Moritakas i've seen, this seems to be a common thing. if he made the knives have a bit more curve, i think the issue with holes in the edge would be much better, as most Japanese knives have holes in the edge, but to a much lesser degree. otherwise, my impressions are similar to Tinh's. i'll get it off to the next person as soon as i can.

Thanks for the review and detail on sharpening and what needs to be done next. Appreciate the thinner yet robust edge, it'll be best the passaround indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    ... the main problem is that the knife is just too flat. from pics of other Moritakas i've seen, this seems to be a common thing. if he made the knives have a bit more curve, i think the issue with holes in the edge would be much better, as most Japanese knives have holes in the edge, but to a much lesser degree. otherwise, my impressions are similar to Tinh's...
    This is exactly the issue I have w/ my 270 - too flat. I do have a couple of spots that accordion that I've tried to get out but couldn't. That was a while ago, and since I've learned more maybe I could do better now. But even if I got the accordion/over grind issues resolved, I still wouldn't use the knife because it's too flat and not fun to use. I even raised the tip slightly in about the last 1/3 of the blade which made it better, but the heel should really be raised slightly too.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

I need to back out of this PA. Sucks, but things happen, ya know...
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

+ Reply to Thread