Quantcast
Kono HD or Carbonext?

Thread: Kono HD or Carbonext?

Kono HD or Carbonext?

I'm in the market for a new 210 mm gyuto of semi-stainless steel. I've got my eye on a Carbonext. It is quite a bit cheaper than a Konosuke HD. However, I wonder whether there are not any disadvantages. I'm particularly concerned about the blade profile.

How do these knives compare?

carbonext is more of a beater knife as it is thicker, well not really a beater but an everyday type of knife. kono hd is more laser than anything.

=D

Having owned both in 240 at the same time the carbonext has more belly. Profile is a personal thing so look at the pictures and decide yourself. The CN is thinner than most gyutos and the HD is a tough laser that doesn't chip.

I gifted the CN and get to use it once in a while. Really good knife in every respect except it's plain looking. The HD is my daily user but I'd be happy if I kept the CN.

If I were making the decision again I'd get a Gesshin Ginga Stainless Wa
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

I have a knife from each range a 270 kono hd gyuto, and a 270 carbonext suji. I think that the kono is worth the extra money and they are both great knives.

I have a 270 Western Kono HD and a Carbonext and looking at the price of the HDs now, I'd go for the Carbonext every time. I actually prefer the Carbonext in pretty much every way. I haven't had it long enough to compare edge retention, but for a pretty massive saving, I'd definitely get the CN. I'd also consider the Gesshin Ginga or the Sakai Yusukes at BluewayJapan

+1 to mano and steven's comments.

Who currently has a Konosuke HD in stock?