Quantcast
Predator Skinner.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Predator Skinner.

Predator Skinner.

Hello and good day. This knife is the first with this NEW Predator pattern damascus from HHH Knives.

Specs.
    The OAL is 8 1/4" with a 3 .75" blade .160" thick. 1.5" tall.
    W1 and nickel damascus forged by HHH Knives "Predator" pattern HRC 59/60
    Full flat grinds and distal taper to the tip. will make this one a joy to use.

Handle: Stabilized Hack Berry. From Craig Stevens. Secured with 3 copper and brass mosaic pins.

Details: Highly contoured handle with Bottle cap knurling at the pinky and zig zag traction at the spine. Comes with hand made, tooled leather sheath.

Asking $700.00 delivered to USA. Will ship international. Please message for shipping quote.

Thanks for looking, as always comments and or questions welcomed.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

i love that pattern, reminds me of snake skin

Quote Originally Posted by Igasho View Post
    i love that pattern, reminds me of snake skin
    I was thinking the same thing - Nice work Randy, you guys really have that one down. I find the bottle capping on the pinky interesting. What was the thought process behind that?

Thanks. I think the name "Predator" describes the damascus very well. (like the movie Predator) That thing is a crazy snake skin looking creature!

The handle is very comfortable and allows for a very positive grip. and great control for fine cutting tasks as well as some hard core cutting. . Its my personal favorite handle shapes for a skinner/hunting knife.

When I use a hunting knife to dress out large game like a deer. I use a few different cutting motions and grips. Hammer grip with index finger on the spine. In this grip I can use my pinky to steer the blade tip. Next would be a blade edge up hammer with my thumb at the choil. The motion is sorta a push cut. With the tip inside the skin and the cutting edge up and moving away from me, opening up the skin. In this case. the back of the handle doesnt come into play on this knife. And lastly I do a modified pinch grip and use my pinky again to stabilize and steer the tip and edge. This is a very relaxed grip I use to guide my tip and change the angle of the cut as I am making it. Think removing the skin off a large critter. Or to De Bone or quarter the animal. following the curves of the muscles and bones etc.. This design also lends itself to a reverse grip its as comfortable and stable as in a hammer grip. Not a grip I use often . But always one I test when making a handle . even a kitchen knife. lol There are many variable that will make each one work or not work. from handle shape to blade shape and angle.. In designing a hunting knife I try and cover as many of them as possible with the blade style, size and shape I am working with.

I hope that makes sense to someone other then me. If not thats ok.

Stay sharp my friends.
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Yeah it makes sense Randy - From a hunting perspective, I was actually kind of picturing my cutting style and whether I would like it and all I came up with is I'm not sure but would be game to try. I literally was going through my field dressing and skinning in my head and how I cut to see. In all honesty I would probably have to play with it to make up my mind but it definitely is interesting. My most common grip is to have my index up the spine with the other three around the handle, especially when cutting blind inside the beast so I was trying to picture that one especially. I have been going through those thoughts thinking about getting a new folder lately too as I have big mitts but prefer a smaller blade especially for deer.
    I like how you push the envelope and make sure stuff is usable Randy.

Again, thanks. Im like you and dont like a HUGE blade for my folder or hunting knife for that matter. I think if you had the chance to try this handle design you would like it!

I have designed a new folder as part of the 3 new Travler knives. I have 12 of them on my bench waiting for me to find time to dedicate to them. lol

God Bless!
    Randy

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I am liking the "pinkey grip". I can see it being very versatile in the use.
    Chewie's the man.

This one is now SOLD. Thanks KKF! and everyone here!

+ Reply to Thread