Thread: Tojiro Knives Any good?

Tojiro Knives Any good?

Hey guys,

I have the opportunity to buy a Tojiro Yanagi and Usuba for the $150. I have only ever owned a western style Japanese knife and never a single bevel blade. I will be buying these with the intention of education. Something to learn the geometry and dynamics of an actual single bevel knife. My question is whether Tojiro carries a good enough reputation to merrit the $150 investment?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I love my Tojiro knives. It's a great budget knife, and I have been using some of them for 10 years.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Tojiro are great knives for the money IMO. They were my first "real" knives after Shun and I still have a few. I like the shirogami ITK series. (Beware of the kiritsuke's though the grind on the belly can be way off and require a lot of work to correct.)

Just for another opinion, I bought a shirogami ITK petty and the edge had a nasty overgrind...guess it may be luck of the draw.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Just for another opinion, I bought a shirogami ITK petty and the edge had a nasty overgrind...guess it may be luck of the draw.
    Mine was real bad as well. Made in China...

Avoid budget single bevel.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    I love my Tojiro knives. It's a great budget knife, and I have been using some of them for 10 years.
    They are not what they used to be.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

please don't compare the ITK shirogami line with the DP line or other lines, they are priced differently and if you order from a budget line you shouldn't expect the same as a more expensive line. The shirogami kurouchi line give you white steel at a cheap price but don't expect great grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Avoid budget single bevel.

Yes.