Tojiro Knives Any good?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotDog

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have the opportunity to buy a Tojiro Yanagi and Usuba for the $150. I have only ever owned a western style Japanese knife and never a single bevel blade. I will be buying these with the intention of education. Something to learn the geometry and dynamics of an actual single bevel knife. My question is whether Tojiro carries a good enough reputation to merrit the $150 investment?

I love my Tojiro knives. It's a great budget knife, and I have been using some of them for 10 years.

Tojiro are great knives for the money IMO. They were my first "real" knives after Shun and I still have a few. I like the shirogami ITK series. (Beware of the kiritsuke's though the grind on the belly can be way off and require a lot of work to correct.)

Just for another opinion, I bought a shirogami ITK petty and the edge had a nasty overgrind...guess it may be luck of the draw.

please don't compare the ITK shirogami line with the DP line or other lines, they are priced differently and if you order from a budget line you shouldn't expect the same as a more expensive line. The shirogami kurouchi line give you white steel at a cheap price but don't expect great grinding.

Back