Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Stripping the KU from a Carter

  1. #11
    I decided to strip the KU and see what happens, just used sandpaper & micro mesh pads. It's still rustic, but near mirror in parts. I polished the secondary bevel on red aoto & also added a machi. I'm really happy with it, I'll see how reactive it is and report back[IMG][/IMG]
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

  2. #12

    knyfeknerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Posts
    2,868
    The picture makes it look really pretty, the blade I mean.
    I hope it doesn't react too badly with any foods.
    You gotta get a new handle on that thing though, is that a plastic ferrule?
    Don't take me seriously, I hate plastic on knives.
    The steel looks really great though, good job. Was it difficult to remove?
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    I decided to strip the KU and see what happens, just used sandpaper & micro mesh pads. It's still rustic, but near mirror in parts. I polished the secondary bevel on red aoto & also added a machi. I'm really happy with it, I'll see how reactive it is and report back[IMG][/IMG]
    i think you may be misunderstanding what a machi is... what do you mean by it?

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    The picture makes it look really pretty, the blade I mean.
    I hope it doesn't react too badly with any foods.
    You gotta get a new handle on that thing though, is that a plastic ferrule?
    Don't take me seriously, I hate plastic on knives.
    The steel looks really great though, good job. Was it difficult to remove?
    It came off really easily with 120 grit paper, then 180,240,400,600,800 and micro mesh

    I hope to have this handle ( by hattorichop) mounted by the end of the week [IMG][/IMG]
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

  5. #15
    that handle issss uggggllllyyyy. blade looks great though! nice work

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i think you may be misunderstanding what a machi is... what do you mean by it?
    Maybe.... I filed down the tang to form a shoulder, I thought that was a machi? [IMG][/IMG]
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

  7. #17
    Canada's Sharpest Lefty Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,267
    Kinda depends on the result of the filing. If there's a little gap on the spine and choil, just in front of the ferrule, you've got a machi. I know this because I am not fluent in Japanese. What?
    09/06

    Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

    Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Kinda depends on the result of the filing. If there's a little gap on the spine and choil, just in front of the ferrule, you've got a machi. I know this because I am not fluent in Japanese. What?
    OK now I get it word of warning if you google image search "machi" that's not what you get hahaha
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

  9. #19

    knyfeknerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Posts
    2,868
    Can't wait to see it with Karl's handle. Good score.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

  10. #20
    Canada's Sharpest Lefty Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,267
    I'm googling machi...now!
    09/06

    Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

    Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •