Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 270 mm suji Mac Pro or Carbonext

Does Mac make a traditional 270 sujihiki?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by vlad8 View Post
    Thanks for the info K-Fed.
    Isn't the fujiwara on the soft side? How often do you have to sharpen it?
    I sharpened the fuji out of the box for the person that I was gifting it to. All it is used for is cutting/portioning fish in a busy restaurant( easily 250-300 lbs a week ) so i wouldn't expect the edge to degrade too quickly. I haven't had to sharpen it yet after a couple weeks of full on fish duty.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
    LOL! At least its in stock...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I like macs, have given a few as gifts and have thinned and rehandled a 9 1/2 pro chef's knife for myself. I also have a superior bread knife and a pro honesuki. I have no complaints with them and still recommend them to all but the most sophisticated knife freaks.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

why did you rehandle the pro? it already comes with the nicest one! how long did it take to thin it out? ive recently got one and still on the factory edge, feel it could be more agile.
    picked up the pro slicer with dimples, didn't realize that it has a curve, should have just gotten the regular slicer, lol.

I rehandled it after having seen a Dave Martell job on a MAC. I also did a slight reshaping on the knife's spine before I thinned it. I have a couple of inexpensive (ish) grinders, so it didn't take very long. i kinda wish now I had left the thickness alone though :-< It makes it's way into my home kitchen rotation along with a Hiromoto, a 52100 KS replica (that I love), some vintage knives, and my own experiments.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC