270 mm suji Mac Pro or Carbonext

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlad8

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can somebody tell me how Mac pro and corbonext compare. Can you suggest some other good western ss or semi stainless suji in the 200@ range.

Can't really comment on either but I picked up a fujiwara fkm suji as a gift, sharpened it and its cut over 600 lbs of fish and is still going strong. Fantastic suji for the money. Quite thin takes and holds an edge that is far beyond its price. Though, I am a huge fan of semi stainless steels. Both the kono hd and my kikuichi tkc's are fantastic but only have experience with the gyutos.

Can't really comment on either but I picked up a fujiwara fkm suji as a gift, sharpened it and its cut over 600 lbs of fish and is still going strong. Fantastic suji for the money. Quite thin takes and holds an edge that is far beyond its price. Though, I am a huge fan of semi stainless steels. Both the kono hd and my kikuichi tkc's are fantastic but only have experience with the gyutos.

Thanks for the info K-Fed.
Isn't the fujiwara on the soft side? How often do you have to sharpen it?

yep a bit soft. 58rc afaik. most j knives are at 60rc. a tad softer but easier to sharpen.

carbonext sujis are alot cheaper than mac sujis and i gotta think theyre atleast as good if not way better. but i do like mac handles. but the kikuichi tkc suji is the same price as mac also. i dont know, i used to like mac but since their price increase i dont think theyre worth the money-or rather there is better stuff out there that is around the same price.

The Mac will come with a decent edge, the Carbonext won't, if that matters. The Fujiwara is strongly right biased.

Looks like CaboNext will be the better choice.

Thanks for the info K-Fed.
Isn't the fujiwara on the soft side? How often do you have to sharpen it?

I sharpened the fuji out of the box for the person that I was gifting it to. All it is used for is cutting/portioning fish in a busy restaurant( easily 250-300 lbs a week ) so i wouldn't expect the edge to degrade too quickly. I haven't had to sharpen it yet after a couple weeks of full on fish duty.

I like macs, have given a few as gifts and have thinned and rehandled a 9 1/2 pro chef's knife for myself. I also have a superior bread knife and a pro honesuki. I have no complaints with them and still recommend them to all but the most sophisticated knife freaks.

why did you rehandle the pro? it already comes with the nicest one! how long did it take to thin it out? ive recently got one and still on the factory edge, feel it could be more agile.
picked up the pro slicer with dimples, didn't realize that it has a curve, should have just gotten the regular slicer, lol.

I rehandled it after having seen a Dave Martell job on a MAC. I also did a slight reshaping on the knife's spine before I thinned it. I have a couple of inexpensive (ish) grinders, so it didn't take very long. i kinda wish now I had left the thickness alone though :-< It makes it's way into my home kitchen rotation along with a Hiromoto, a 52100 KS replica (that I love), some vintage knives, and my own experiments.

Latest posts

Back