Bread in a combo cooker. Tartine style.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantumcloud509

Reaction score
So I lent my Momofuku Milk book out to the baker girl at work, and after reading that she lent me her Tartine Bread book. I woke up at 3am this morning and started reading it. Halfway through the book I found myself on the 'bay and Amazon buying the Tartine set which includes not only the bread book but also his wifes pastry book for only $32 used shipping included from a used book salesman on Amazon. The 'bay yielded a find for a new Lodge pre-seasoned combo cooker for .08 cheaper than Amazon, plus Ill get .30 in eBay bucks, and I already had $9.96 in eBay bucks, so $20 for the cooker. I am getting pretty excited! :) $50 and Im on my way to making what looks like a fail proof very nice bread. Going to go and start my starter right now. Anyone try this method of baking yet? The place I work at is heavily influenced by Tartine bread, so I know what the finished product should look like. Super stoked!

i would love to buy the combo cooker but they cost an arm and a leg here, over a $100. i cook with a lodge cast iron pan here a lot for corn bread and stuff. and i love making bread too.

my father's side comes from a line of ice cream makers and bread bakers (aside from the fact that they're also a whole clan of cops and army type folk). so i really appreciate great bread and great ice cream. good luck with your bread baking.

oh what i would give for a proper wood fire oven with firebricks =D

What I would give for my friend Alvin Felicianos moms pancet with Mang Tomas, adobo, kare-kare and her lumpia. Lucky man you are over there!

Been baking bread in a combo cooker for over 2 years, with weekly bakes. Should have done it even sooner. The quality of bread from this method is quite satisfying. About a year in, I started only pre-heating the top (the larger portion of the cooker). Still amazing rise and crust, but without the potential of burning myself when I put the dough in the cooker.

Since you're working in a place with Tartine style bread, then you'll be familiar with handling a wet dough. I found that working with high hydration and then getting proofing times to match my local environment to be the trickiest part. A great resource is TheFreshLoaf. While the Tartine recipe is solid, it has stumped people (eg. me).

20120728_sourdoughboule.jpg

Definitely share your results!

What I would give for my friend Alvin Felicianos moms pancet with Mang Tomas, adobo, kare-kare and her lumpia. Lucky man you are over there!

if you want recipes for the food you mentioned, i'll be more than happy to share them.

=D

A combo cooker is like a dutch oven? I've baked bread in a dutch oven and it works well. I'm not good enough to make bread nearly as good as Tartine's, but it's still good. Now I miss Tartine's croissants...and their banana cream pie...

if you want recipes for the food you mentioned, i'll be more than happy to share them.

=D
Im always gathering recipes. If you have some youd like to share my PM box welcomes you arms wide open :D
:disdain:
Where's the fun in that??
Right?
A combo cooker is like a dutch oven? I've baked bread in a dutch oven and it works well. I'm not good enough to make bread nearly as good as Tartine's, but it's still good. Now I miss Tartine's croissants...and their banana cream pie...
Yes a lot like a dutch oven. I have Tartines croissaints recipe if you want.

Im always gathering recipes. If you have some youd like to share my PM box welcomes you arms wide open

i just wanna know one thing, if you like kare-kare.... you have to have an appreciation for bagoong. can you stomach the smell?

i've heard that most non-filipinos can't stand the smell. are you able to actually eat the stuff? =p

coz i will include that as well. hehe.

I actually have some shrimp paste in my fridge i like to use for marinating pork in and its pretty stinky :) id try anything 5 times. I think the worst fermented stuff i ever tried was japanese fermented beans which looked and tasted like snot.

alright. i'll come up with recipes with certain twists and cooked with my personal touches for you to try out. will pm you with what i can come up with.

=D

Hi dear all,
I also like combo cooker. I have baked bread in combo cooker and it is works well.

Back