What's your basher?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxsmilerxx

Reaction score
This isnt about youe nicest knife, no this is the knife you give the most abuse to! Frozen steak, whole swede and everything between. You wouldn't treat your mother in laws dog the way you treat this knife. My basher is a sainsburys 'carbon steel' santoku and I give it the abuse it deserves (cut me when unpacking it). It cost about £12, the best bargain in my drawer by a mile.

There is a picture of it here
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/blog/604-kitchen-gadgets/

A cheap stainless Chinese cleaver that I've been using since 88.

I just realized there are probably people reading this that weren't born yet.

Henckels 8" Chef's. Only 10 years younger than Salty's. :)

Tojiro 240mm yo-deba.
[video=youtube;CI7CGphzXYI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI7CGphzXYI[/video]

I use a 8" Wustof Chef. Nothing smashes garlic better! That weird full blade height bolster it has is great for punching a air hole in a tin of ovile oil too.
You sure about that?? :D

pigsticker.jpg

my 24 years old hand-made TUNGSTEN stainless steel Chines cleaver,. like axe, chop-up anything! made in Taiwan.
20130127_150800.jpg

My no name Chef knife that our friend Son sent me. :) This blade has been beat to death and still keep coming back for more. I should rehandle it. But just cant make myself do it. As its go so much character!! This photo was taken many months ago. Its built a tone more patina!! Thanks SON!

stuff 029.JPG

A glestain 240 gyuto and a cheap vintage carbon German scimitar see the most abuse here.

I always lean on a Suisin carbon yo-deba when it's time for splitting lobsters, cracking duck bones or any other rough stuff. It's been around close to 10 years now and has always taken the hits and asked for more. Great knife.

A cheap stainless Chinese cleaver that I've been using since 88.

I just realized there are probably people reading this that weren't born yet.

Mine is pretty much exactly the same thing but, in carbonsteel and purchased pretty much around the same time. Still use it every day.

I use a little Sabatier cleaver for all those tasks that will leave the edge dented, scraped or chipped:)

548927_10151109462652691_842593616_n.jpg

406868_10151098356312691_174645978_n.jpg

a 10 inch old hickory, got it as is. sharpened strangely for a lefty. which is a plus. bought it used on ebay. had to fight off some guy that wanted it just as bad as i did. lol.

been using it for 3 months now.

Kinda different, because I don't cook in a restaurant, but pretty much every knife I own I "beat on". This is especially true for my Marr petty, Ivo santoku/pizza knife and Misono Swede gyuto.

My 10inch Henckel. It pops open cans easily and I don't mind handing it off to any of the MENSA members I work with. I do want to swap it out for one of the Nogent Sabs from TBT though. I bought one for my boss that is a really good knife in carbon. It's wicked cheap too.
To be a serious "beater" to me , it has to have the blade guard bolster thingy. The ability to pop those cans open is priceless.

210 tojiro western deba.

a savage beast, fears nothing.

CCK cleaver , a Suisin gyuto, a glestain gyuto, a KA Masamoto Yanagiba for my everyday.....

And a set of unknown Wustoff looking westerns that I use for cutting frozen foods and other uses that I would never subject my other knives to!

:aikido:

true abuse is opening a coconut. i use some unknown cleaver my MIL gave us. 90% sure it is from taiwan.

living with me in the kitchen..knives get abused. i dont always think it thru, when it comes to difficult stuff like opening a butternut squash.

if your significant other wants a coconut, "island style"..you will think long and hard about what tool to reach for. here is my beater. i do it all with this thing..flatten skirt steak, "grind" meat..decapitate chickens, etc.

IMG_0001_zpscfbf323b.jpg

Back