Removing scratches from sharpening/thinning

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perneto

Reaction score
How do you do it? What do you use?

Do you have a special technique for damascus cladding?

i'd love to have a step by step method of removing scratches as well. i scratched up my kono cause i forgot to flatten stones before use.

Automotive wet dry sandpaper in increasingly high grits, then micromesh pads. What you do on one side you have to do on the other even if it isn't scratched in order to achieve a uniform finish. Then re etch, then sharpen. I did this on my ironwood Tanaka 240mm after thinning behind the edge. Scary stuff.

do you keep the auto paper and mesh pads dry or do you load them with something? btw perneto i do exactly what theory says and it works great. it does take some practice to make a consistent scratch pattern.

Could someone post grits to use in order of use and how to re etch. Also a link to the correct auto paper for sand paper or mesh pads.

Could someone post grits to use in order of use and how to re etch. Also a link to the correct auto paper for sand paper or mesh pads.

wet/dry, doesn't matter what brand. start with 220, then 400, then 800. Dave has an etching guide, somewhere... i'd be happy to show you how to do it, Ucmd, since we live fairly close to each other.

Well, the grit level really depends on how deeply you've scratched the blade. Really you should start at the level that scratches out the scratches you originally made. If that makes any sense. As for the micro mesh pads, just hit up amazon.

Well, the grit level really depends on how deeply you've scratched the blade. Really you should start at the level that scratches out the scratches you originally made. If that makes any sense. As for the micro mesh pads, just hit up amazon.

that's the theory, but i find that 220/400/800 pretty much does it.

Sounds about right. I once slipped with a dremmel while rounding my yo-deba and had to go from 60 grit!!! Yeah, that sucked.

Re-etching is only for damascus claddings, right? No need for that for plain claddings?

Yup. Or carbon you want to darken like the Hiromoto as line.

Re-etching is only for damascus claddings, right? No need for that for plain claddings?

that's a misconception: etching will remove scratches, regardless if the cladding is kitaeji or no.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the things I love about the memebers of this site, Edipis casually offering to show a new member how to do it. Everyone is always willing to go above and beyond to help others.

Also, with a damascus cladding, is it really essential to re-etch after polishing out scratches? I'm trying to decide whether damascus is too high-maintenance for me or not.

Interesting, could you explain why that is?

because it's acid. on knives that aren't damascus, the etch gives a more even finish (once you've polished it pos- etch, anyway: flitz and fine sandpaper work well).

Also, with a damascus cladding, is it really essential to re-etch after polishing out scratches? I'm trying to decide whether damascus is too high-maintenance for me or not.

it's only essential if you want to bring out the pattern. and there are other ways to do it. when i owned a Yoshikane kitaeji knife, i used a King 800 followed by fine sandpaper, instead of etching, though you have to be careful to not mess up the geometry of the blade, if you use stones.

because it's acid. on knives that aren't damascus, the etch gives a more even finish (once you've polished it pos- etch, anyway: flitz and fine sandpaper work well).

Sorry if maybe some body already said this but which acid is used for etching?

Get the etchant from Radio Shack and some distilled water or distilled white vinegar. I make about a 50/50 mix, have to be careful pouring it together. Pour the vinegar in first then the acid. I usually dip it several minutes at a time until the desired effect is achieved. I always go darker than you would think since some of it comes off after neutralizing. Here's the original how to thread.http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/6474-Damascus-Knives-amp-Re-Etchng

Here's a Kagayaki I recently etched.http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/9458-Kagayaki-Etched?highlight=Kagayaki

I forgot that you have to sharpen after etching and cleaning since the acid eats away the edge. So don't sharpen first since you will have to do it after anyway.

I use a piece of PVC pipe, sealed at one end, to do this. The first time I did it in the kitchen, the fumes put a fine coat of rust on every carbon knife on a Mag-Blok 15 feet away. I would strongly urge doing this outdoors.

One of the things I love about the memebers of this site, Edipis casually offering to show a new member how to do it. Everyone is always willing to go above and beyond to help others.

Yeah ive noticed that, its good.

Im on another forum, (not knife related) and if someone new asks a question the first 5 replies are usually "have you searched"
"not another one"
"noob"
fu*ken search before asking"
"this gets asked once a day, use the search function *********"

Back