Complaints - People have been complaining

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Since the 1st of the year people have been complaining.
Some of the complaints have come from my regular customers.
Some of the complaints have come from complete strangers.
Emails, PMs and even phone calls.

So......I figured I should change my behavior and stop giving people something to complain about.

As I have been restocking the web store for the new year, there hasn't been any saya material.
My Bad, I just hadn't gotten around to cutting any.

So today I cut some sets that I thought would look good as sayas.
Mostly Walnut and a Curly Maple set so far.
I will try to photograph and post these in the store tomorrow.

I hope you all like this stuff. I thought it was pretty nice.
It is a bad photo and they are only lightly sanded to 120 grit. They will look better when finished.

saya004.jpg

saya005.jpg

If anyone has any input on what else I should cut up for sayas,
...make a post here and let me know.
Otherwise you will only see stuff that I decide to cut.

Sa-weet! Very nice!

All I can say is... The curlier the better!

:wink:

Well I wasn't gonna say anything but.,...

Don't think anybody can complain about this!

These are beautiful. Can you tell what will be the price for the saya wood?

I just finished adding the Saya wood to the web store. These walnut sets range from $40 to $50 per set.
The Maple set is already spoken for but there are still 6 real nice Walnut sets.

The Walnut is California Claro Walnut. It is a bit softer than normal Black Walnut so it is less likely to scratch your blades.
The photos only give a hint how nice the wood will look when finished.
I gave them a light sanding to 120 grit and sprayed them with a light coat of lacquer to give a bit of protection until you start your saya project.

This link will take you to where they are located in the store.

Just to make it clear
The complaints I was getting was a lack of saya wood in the store. Through the coming week I will be adding more.

That is just way too cheap.

Order sent, thanks!

That is just way too cheap.

Order sent, thanks!

I just looked at your order.
:shocked3:
You neglected to leave a gratuity. Guess I better send one of my Ealy blades for a handle.

Just teasing you.
The walnut was borderline whether it would make good handle material because the figure was not very compact.
But spread out over the size of a saya or box it would look real good.
and..... I got a good deal on it when I bought the wood.
Thanks Matt

Didn't see that Mark had already responded to the question about where prices are shown...

Beautiful stuff...

Soooo...

Seeing as how Eamon is kind of out the loop right now in terms of saya making, and it appears that marko is pretty busy with top to bottom knife construction... if I were to order a set of these, who would be a good choice to have construct said saya? I don't have the tools available, or I'd take a whack at it myself...

Hehe, I don't know if he makes them or not, but he made one or two for his own knives that look pretty good.

Yep, didn't Pierre do one recently too?
I think kalaeb is being silly. Mark has made some, but I don't know that he'd want to sell them...................
...........I could be wrong though, they did look good.

I'm too hungry for these shenanigans! Low blood sugar makes me very susceptible to suggestion, and/or cranky. We need to start leaning on Mike H to make sayas as well as all those bitchin handles...

Any chance of black dyed maple cut for a saya? It would go great with the black maple handle Dave is making for my hiro!:knife:

:bigeek:I didn't know Mark making saya! any pictures of his works??
Mark's sayas are still kind of cheesy. Definitely not professional quality.
But.....as the weather improves I will make more for my knives and who knows.
Maybe I will eventually catch on.

Any chance of black dyed maple cut for a saya? It would go great with the black maple handle Dave is making for my hiro!:knife:
The handle wood gets dyed when sent in for stabilizing so no on the black saya wood.

But, if you make a saya and then finish with black leather dye you could probably get a pretty good match.

Back