Tips for slicing cured fish?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
Finding it more difficult than regular "sashimi" slices.

Any tips on maximizing yield and maintaining nice slices? Or treat it the same as a fresh piece of fish?

Try putting a thin film of oil on your blade to reduce friction and tearing of the fish as you slice. Also makes it much easier to get the slices off the blade after cutting. And I like to slice off the fillet to the left (assuming a right handed cutter) so I can apply a little pressure to the fish and feel the blade working under the slice. This allows good control for more even/thinner slices.
Oh, and the thinner and sharper the knife, the easier it'll be.

I did a lot of smoked salmon lox when I was the chef at the JCC in Manhattan . I found it much easier to slice by leaving it attached to the skin as it will hold it in place and keep it from tearing. also, what chefdog said.

"Oh, and the thinner and sharper the knife, the easier it'll be. "

Thanks for the tips, i'll try the oil thing.

Some fish we leave skin on, some not.

how about the actual way you attack? For example when cutting sashimi, you have your loin formed into neat little blocks and the "direction" you attack the loin is fairly consistent the entire way. However one guy I work with finds it much easier to keep taking slices off the top of the "block".

I leave the skin on and slice diagonally when I reach the skin I give it a little snick and it comes off skinfree.

The quality of the cure is important. I've made batches that were easy and batches that sucked. Depending on the quality you look for... we actually froze our lox, thawed in a 33 degree chiller and cut the whole loins while frosty but not frozen. Its sort of like pastrami... Really good authentic jewish delis will steam their pastrami so tender that they have to cut it thick. Find a balance of what works for your intentions.

Back