Coffee Crusted Cowboy Steak

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw2geeks

Founding Member
Reaction score
Got my hands on a 32-ounce cowboy steak this weekend. Decided to crust it with coffee and chili powder and it turned out great!

Here are some pics.

J2RrX.St.117.jpg

SSTT3.St.117.jpg

M7vG2.St.117.jpg

1a3GXX.St.117.jpg

w788B.St.117.jpg

1cbj4y.St.117.jpg

More pics and recipe for Coffee Crusted Cowboy Steak here.

That steak was mighty tasty! The coffee gives it a nice nice earthy flavor but is surprisingly not bitter.

beatiful... im not a coffee man myself but that looks damn good..

i should try a tea crust !

Years ago when I worked in Scottsdalke, Az, I cooked a charity dinner with Chef Robert McGrath and a few other James beard and food wine type chefs. Our course was a coffee and chili crusted tenderlion with a giant portion of baked green chili mac and cheese that was so good, you just wanted to slap someone. This looks awesome!

It looks awesome Steve, but I avoid getting any grounds in my morning cup of coffee, so I'm not sure I could stomach a mouthful of them on a steak...

It looks awesome Steve, but I avoid getting any grounds in my morning cup of coffee, so I'm not sure I could stomach a mouthful of them on a steak...

Surprisingly you don't notice any coffee ground texture when you are eating the steak. But I did notice a lot of grounds when I smiled in the mirror :biggrin:

If I use espresso grounds should I go a little lighter or just season liberally as usual?

Looks great.

That looks great I have to try that when the we thaw out.

That looks great I have to try that when the we thaw out.

For some reason we are having a weather in the 70-80º temp range. We had a record low yesterday. Normally during the stock show we have cold, icy weather. Sort of like the weather we had at the Super Bowl when they played it down here a couple of years ago.

Did you end up using Kona or something else? I have been using the Costco Kona blend but I will probably try a darker roast next time I do it.

Did you end up using Kona or something else? I have been using the Costco Kona blend but I will probably try a darker roast next time I do it.

I used a French roast out of one of my k-cups. It was pretty dark. I have a picture of it in the slide show that goes with the story.

That looks amazing.

I usually add a touch of brown sugar to a coffee rub. Also, grinding down the beans to dust helps texturally....

That looks amazing.

I usually add a touch of brown sugar to a coffee rub. Also, grinding down the beans to dust helps texturally....

I have tried grinding it fine, but I find it does not crust as well. Surprisingly I have never found the coffee to leave a bitter taste when mixed with chili powder, don't know why? But I usually skip sweet rubs with beef, but I also normally drink my coffee black...

Had some relatives over last weekend and went to Tim Loves Woodshed and had 2 60oz porterhouse steaks. Got me in the big steak mood!

Had some relatives over last weekend and went to Tim Loves Woodshed and had 2 60oz porterhouse steaks. Got me in the big steak mood!

My wife just doesn't understand that I could have a steak at least once a week if not more. Variation for me is how I season it before it goes on the grill and what sides I have with it.

Back