Need help in choosing a knife)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vladimir

Reaction score
Hi all!
So I get a little money, and I want to buy a new gyuto ,
the problem lies in the fact that I have a few knives
at the moment: Carter HG, Shigefusa, Masamoto KS(my favorite profile),
up to this point have been
DT (stainless) Konosuke HD, Takeda ,Hatorri HD
I want to buy a new gyuto, something interesting and impressive .
I considered buying from mr.Itou R2, but this is not available .
I looked at him just because of steel (I do not like damask coated)
I'd like to hear your advice guys! Any information will be very useful for me.
There is one but, I'm looking in the direction of the forged blades (hand) are not cut from a strip of steel.
I believe that when smith creates original shape blade during forging, it is born soul) I can a little old fashioned, but that the cockroaches in my head))
Waiting for your advice))) Oh yes, I'm counting the amount of <$ 600
Thank you all!
and forgive my French)) Google translator)))

Thanks for the reply, I probably poorly explained his idea
I now have, I use them Carter HG, Shigefusa, Masamoto KS
I had knives Takeda, DT, Konosuke (knives are wonderful, but I sold it) I would try anything should more

I'd go carter, shigefusa for makers listed otherwise custom if your going spend that kinda cash.

Shig is a workhorse but a pretty one that cuts like crazy.

Carter never had one but have heard they are great cutters as well.

Customs pick about any maker here and you won't be disappointed,

Mike Davis- blend of steels, amazing hamons, single bevel knives
Marko T- awesome craftsmanship and woodworking, 52100 carbon mainly
Mario I- using cpm154, great profiles and heat treat

Others are just as good those are only ones I have experience with but either you would be more than happy!

Guys! Let us again :beatinghead::D I'm not looking to buy, Karter HG, Shigi or Masamoto, these knives i have in my home.
I'm looking for advice, which is to buy a knife, that he was just as stunning and even more .
I need gyuto 240
Heiji great knife and I look at him very often, thanks! what would be the other options?
:D

Watanabe pro gyuto, Yoshikane SLD & Takamura Suminagashi R2, I own those three knives and love them very much!!
Next on my list are- Heiji Semi stainless, Hide & Gengetsu stainless!!

Thanks!!!
I have roundabout in my head
Kato?
Heiji?
Gengetsu?
What to choose:D

I am grabbing an Gengetsu as soon as they become available. So far everyone has raved about them.

I like kurouchi style, but I was not looking at Kochi, do you think this is a good knife?

I had one and it was a very good knife. Had being the key though as the profile wasn't exactly right for me. That being said, it was an awesome cutter, had very nice kurouchi finish and the V2 steel was very impressive. They also are available in Blue 2 with a Migaki or polished finish if this is more to your liking. I think they are an excellent knife for the money.

Friends!
Thanks for the tips! I went with Kato gyuto 240,
thanks to Maxim ;)

Yes of course, I'll do that, the more so ,I have something to compare :)

Masamoto Honyaki... out of the price range but I'm thinking that's what you want. So get it!

I thought about Masamoto honyaki, but I already have a Masamoto kc (Saltydog compared this knives and found not much difference), also honyaki considerably more expensive than Kato.

I got Kato! is incredible! I have a gyuto shigefusa when I heard that Kato cuts better, I smiled. so, 5 mm thick blade, cut the better
knife is very tough and fun to work, interesting experience breaking all the laws of physics ;), it cuts perfectly, now Shigi went to second place
Thanks to all who responded!

Funny :) People who like Shig like also Kato very much, but they are soooo different in every aspect

Thanks Vlad i hope you enjoy it !

Back