Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Chipping with Sabatier, carbon or stainless, is far from common. How do you sharpen, and would you care to show some pix? I think we should clear this up before even thinking about another knife.
    It is probably 11 years old, and was pretty cheap at the time (I think about £25?) it has also been pretty badly abused - handle also cracked through years of going through a dishwasher (i know i know)

How do I sharpen? I rub it along the stone first the rough then the smooth one until it is nice and sharp. It seems to work for me though I am sure I may not be doing it 100% correctly.

Been trying to upload a pic but cant get camera to share pic with computer right now! That was a waste of 45 minutes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
    Why? Gyutos that size don't chip?
    I'd say they would chip as much as any other size of knife, just that it seems to be a pretty popular size if you're gonna spend a bit of cash. I started off with 180s and 210s, then 240 and now 270.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    Been trying to upload a pic but cant get camera to share pic with computer right now! That was a waste of 45 minutes!!
    finally figured it out!!!

http://i.imgur.com/yUCJSBx.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scott6452 View Post
    Just to throw another spanner in the works, have a look at http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ Your knife will reach you in the UK in about 4 working days with no customs hold up. Choice number 6 is from japaneseknifecompany.com which are regarded to be quite an over priced business (just like most uk pages!).
    Are you sure about the no customs charges?
    I thought it was 20% or something import tax on knives?

Nice to hear JKC is overpriced before I make mistake of buying! Does that knife I linked to look good though and what price should it be?

It seems all knives are "REDUCED 50%" so hard to know what "real" price is of anything.... hence coming here!

yes i think it is probably the sharpening!

or maybe because i have used it to cut through duck carcasses and duck leg bones.....

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I'd stay the hell away from UK knife vendors to be honest, they are all a total rip-off. I'd recommend something from JCK due to the cheap shipping, or other European vendors. Can you explain a little more what you'd like? I'd recommend you get a gyuto that is at least 240mm
    Nice to know - why are UK so expensive? Anyone have any idea?

It seems no-one is mentioning the Henckels 4 star or the Wusthof choices - is it all japan on here?

What do I want ? - just general chef's knife. One I have is 20cm and I have never had a problem with the size which is why I am looking at similar now.

Ideally something that will be a pleasure to use, and to look at, and to know I have a great knife - I guess an entry level serious knife as I can;t really afford to go spending £100+

The JCK site seems really great - but I am still a bit lost in there. It kind of looks like the kind of site where they only sell decent knives, so I can't really go wrong?

There seem to be a few in my price range on there. If anyone could weight in with what they reckon are the best of the low end ranges on there that would be great.

Scott6452, can you please clarify what you said about the "no customs hold-up" ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I'd say they would chip as much as any other size of knife, just that it seems to be a pretty popular size if you're gonna spend a bit of cash. I started off with 180s and 210s, then 240 and now 270.
    As money is an issue I am happy with a 210mm knife (possibly even 180mm?) thus meaning I can buy a better one!

Yeh koki from Japanese chefs knives marks the item value at $20 or something so it sails through customs no problem. On all my trackings, they are literally in customs for under an hour. I've had about 5 orders from them to uk and no problems any time.

Quote Originally Posted by scott6452 View Post
    Yeh koki from Japanese chefs knives marks the item value at $20 or something so it sails through customs no problem. I've had about 5 orders from them to uk and no problems any time.

aha this is great information thanks Scott.
    $7 postage is amazingly cheap as well.
    Am I right to think they are all good then, or would you recommend any, or staying away from any?
    Thanks again.