Quantcast
Help!!! - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    In general, I wouldn't go for a used one as a first Japanese unless you get it from an experienced sharpener. There might be too much work involved you've no experience with.
    Thanks Ben

toying with idea of a 240 anyway. Also GF has said she would rather we got a shiny brand new one. I mean the price difference is not enormous enough really, and she would rather any ugly patina marks were made by us!

Still thinking about it all. May even up budget a bit and go for a Hattori HD, a TJ Aogami Super or a Masamoto VG. Still trying to wrap head around what the differences all are.

HD=very pretty
    VG=apparently very well balanced
    AS=i just like the word SUPER

Carbonext still well in the game, but not sure if its just a "good cheap knife" or if it is actually a better knife than the other 3 I just mentioned...

Its a learning curve, innit?

Forget about the HD. Faux Damascus, made by another and sold under Hattori name and priced accordingly. After a few months it doesn't look very attractive anymore.
    Masamoto: good knives, great profile, poor value: IMO it's worth about half its price.
    Hiromoto: good knives, excellent steel, excellent value.
    Carbonext: both good knives as good value
    Fujiwara: good knives, excellent value

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Forget about the HD. Faux Damascus, made by another and sold under Hattori name and priced accordingly. After a few months it doesn't look very attractive anymore.
    Masamoto: good knives, great profile, poor value: IMO it's worth about half its price.
    Hiromoto: good knives, excellent steel, excellent value.
    Carbonext: both good knives as good value
    Fujiwara: good knives, excellent value
    Thanks Ben it's very helpful to be able to scratch the Hattori HD off the list.

So in a face off between 240mms, a Carbonext would be $128 and a Hiro AS $161.... from your post it seems you might lean towards the AS?

Having googled pictures of them both it seems that the AS knives have a very beautiful patina thing going on between the AS edge and the stainless face. The CN knives seem to look less interesting with use.

i say get both. =D

i would.

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    i say get both. =D

i would.
    Haha.

Yeah nice advice. Though if I were buying two knives I would probably at least try to get two different styles! I quite fancy a Deba one day.

But no. Sadly I only need one gyuto today, and so at some point I will have to make a decision, fun as it is just talking about it.

I do think that you have narrowed it down to choices that you will be happy with either way. Good luck with the decision!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    I do think that you have narrowed it down to choices that you will be happy with either way. Good luck with the decision!
    This is helpful, yet not helpful.

We want opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    This is helpful, yet not helpful.

We want opinion!

OK, Hiromoto, but as I understand, you must be willing to learn to thin this knife to get the best performance.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...kness-question

or as there are a few relevant threads try to google:

site:www.kitchenknifeforums.com hiromoto thinning

Cheers!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quite often the Carbonext comes with a very poor edge, so take into account the costs of getting it sharpened by e.g. Maxime in Denmark, €10 inclusive shipping, plus your shipping costs towards him.
    The Hiromoto comes with a decent edge.
    Again, both are good knives.
    The Carbonext gives a good idea of what a Japanese blade is about. In that sense, it's more average than the Hiromoto with its clad construction and remarkable core steel. Please note the Hiromoto feels stiff and solid, while most others have a very light flex and feel nimble.

About Hiromoto thinning: it doesn't need thinning out of the box, it needs thinning behind the edge every time you sharpen. It's true with every knife, but in the case of the Hiromoto, it's imperative. It will teach you proper sharpening and avoiding jig systems.