Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new yoshikane gyuto at aframes

new yoshikane gyuto at aframes

im guessing these yoshis in sld are new, i wouldve noticed them before. its certainly a good price for yoshikane. anybody have experience w/these? whats SLD steel like?
    http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...ade-kn240.html

HAHA...I just noticed you said SLD...It's too early for me!!!!

I have the Karouchi Damascus from Yoshikane in SLD, and it is one of the best semi stainless knives I have ever used!!! It takes a great edge, almost as good as carbon, and keeps it for longer (at least for me). But, the edge retention may have a lot to do with the fact that I like highly acidic foods. As an aside, stropping with diamond compound to liven the edge up is seemingly not as effective as it is with carbon (YMMV).

Regards,
    Chris
    At Death's Door You Only Have 2 choices. Die Happy or Die Regretfully.
    Knowing this...........Choose 1 and Live!!!!!!!!!

Hitachi SLD steel is an equivalent of the AISI D2 steel, a bit more Cr, tad less Vanadium, etc. Here,Hitachi SLD vs. AISI D2 steel composition comparison.

thanks gator. sounds good to me. like i said, this gyuto seems like a bargain. wanted a little more info before i pull the trigger. i think im sold.

Thought the kasumi gyutos were skd only, at least that is what Dr. Naka and Maksim had.

this appears to be some new line ive never seen nor heard of.

Maksim did a passaround of an SLD sujihiki a while ago, and I was impressed by it. Very easy to sharpen and the edge retention was very good. Sounds to me like this one is a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    Thought the kasumi gyutos were skd only, at least that is what Dr. Naka and Maksim had.
    Technically and practically they are. Skd11 is Japanese JIS standard equivalent of D2. SLD confirms to that spec. Although, afaik Yoshikane did make knives out of JIS Skd12 steel as well, equivalent of AISI A2.

$240 for a 240mm kasumi SLD + saya seems like one hell of a bargain to me. If i remember correctly, the SLD sujihiki Maxim sold was much more expensive than the SKD version.

I'll be able to tell you in a week or so if it's really a bargain as i've just bought one.

compared to the price of the other sld yoshikanes ive seen, they seem like a great deal.