new yoshikane gyuto at aframes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HAHA...I just noticed you said SLD...It's too early for me!!!!

I have the Karouchi Damascus from Yoshikane in SLD, and it is one of the best semi stainless knives I have ever used!!! It takes a great edge, almost as good as carbon, and keeps it for longer (at least for me). But, the edge retention may have a lot to do with the fact that I like highly acidic foods. As an aside, stropping with diamond compound to liven the edge up is seemingly not as effective as it is with carbon (YMMV).

Regards,
Chris

thanks gator. sounds good to me. like i said, this gyuto seems like a bargain. wanted a little more info before i pull the trigger. i think im sold.

Thought the kasumi gyutos were skd only, at least that is what Dr. Naka and Maksim had.

Maksim did a passaround of an SLD sujihiki a while ago, and I was impressed by it. Very easy to sharpen and the edge retention was very good. Sounds to me like this one is a winner.

Thought the kasumi gyutos were skd only, at least that is what Dr. Naka and Maksim had.
Technically and practically they are. Skd11 is Japanese JIS standard equivalent of D2. SLD confirms to that spec. Although, afaik Yoshikane did make knives out of JIS Skd12 steel as well, equivalent of AISI A2.

$240 for a 240mm kasumi SLD + saya seems like one hell of a bargain to me. If i remember correctly, the SLD sujihiki Maxim sold was much more expensive than the SKD version.

I'll be able to tell you in a week or so if it's really a bargain as i've just bought one.

Can anyone find that passaround thread where people posted reviews of the Yoshikane SLD suji? I looked and looked and couldn't find it.

i wasn't a fan of the pass around Suji's edge retention, but it was otherwise a very nice knife. this gyuto looks pretty thin for a Yoshi, at 3mm at the heel. my V2 Kitaeji Yoshi was thicker than that. if i weren't saving up for another Shig and a Mizuno honyaki, i'd be interested in getting one of these in the new couple months.

well aframes sent me a quick response. they said they werent certain about the hrc but 59-60 was a "guess".

according to EE, Yoshikane SLD Kurouchi Damascus tempered to Hrc 64!! my SLD Damascus' edge retention good as my SG2 PM steel. same as my shigefusa, my shig kitaji's edge last longer than my shig kasumi!! seem all kasumi version softer than kitaji version!!

according to EE, Yoshikane SLD Kurouchi Damascus tempered to Hrc 64!! my SLD Damascus' edge retention good as my SG2 PM steel. same as my shigefusa, my shig kitaji's edge last longer than my shig kasumi!!

read the suji review, it was believed that those sujis were around 59-60 also.

the word on the street is several exciting things are about to get restocked over at blueway, including more "thicker"flatter profile swedish stainless gyutos and laser flatter profile gyutos...also more ashi hamano cleavers in swedish stainless(which are also basically lasers). Also, sorry but i deleted Aphexs write up about the yoshikane. But, I can say he was very impressed with it.

oh yeah, forgot about those yusuke's. i really should stop looking at knives, just bought a dt itk which takes total upto gyuto #6 in my knife kit. i only ever use 2 at a time! i'm starting to think that thicker blades with a highly tapered grind and convex edge bevel make the best cutters due to food release.

Well, every knife has its advantages. Yoshikanes seem to have a pretty unique profile, atleast for high end stainless(i know theyre similar to shigs, right?).

Back