Quantcast
Foster Bros. pron - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foster Bros. pron

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    I would love to see some of them star rivets!

OOOPPPSSS....YEA, I forgot about that rule. I'll retract what I said above. Sorry, pics or nothing!

PZ

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    I wonder when they quit making knives with the Foster Brothers stamp? Back in the 1980's Columbia Cutlery sent me a large catalog with both their own line and a full range of "Foster Brothers" stamped blades. I think it is buried someplace out in the old catalogs I store up in the haymount of the barn. Not sure they were actually making knives or just selling contract made cutlery with their logo on them.

Quoting from "Levine's Guide To Knives And Their Values - 4th Edition" by Bernard Levine...

Foster Bros.
    In 1883 John Chatillon & Sons Co. of New York City, a half-century old maker of scales, acquired the Foster Brothers Cutlery Co. of Fulton, New York, founded in 1878 by Frank and Allie Foster. Chatillon expanded the Foster Bros. line to over 500 items. During World War II Foster made 250,000 cleavers for the military, plus thousands of bolos and other knives. Chatillon closed Foster Bros. in the 1950's, and sold the name to the Columbia Cutlery Co.

Quoting "Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings" by John & Charlotte Goins...

Foster Bros. & Chatillon Co.
    c. 1835 - present
    John Chatillon Company made scales when it was founded in 1835. Eventually, they began making butcher knives, cleavers, and steels. In 1885, they became sole agents agents for the Foster Brothers line butchers' tools.

In 1896, the firm purchased the Phoenix Knife Company of Phoenix, New York. They then merged it with the Foster Brothers & Chatillon Company. This added hundreds of patterns of of jack and pen knives to their line.

They continued dealing in pocket cutlery as late as 1937. The firm is still in business, dealing in butchers supplies.

Yes, I know about the site (in fact, I have been sending Russian/Ukrainian speakers there for a wile) and know the person whose site it is. He is a knife enthusiast from St. Petersburg, Russia and he is a member here.

The site is great - lots of pics and lots of information on knives and knife use.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Red face

Hi, friends!
    My name is Andrey, I am from Saint Petersburg, Russia. I am the owner the site
    www.cookingknife.ru with the photos of Foster Brothers knives.
    There are not only photos - http://www.cookingknife.ru/iView.aspx?id=38 at this site, but the article about Foster Brothers and other american cutlery companies (19-20 century) Sorry, it is in Russian, but there are a lot of photos - http://www.cookingknife.ru/aShow.aspx?id=44
    Thank you very much for good words about my site
    Andrey (Teke)

Welcome Andrey!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Hi Andrey and welcome to the forum .
    your site is great .
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Good stuff, Andrey!

Star rivets? You mean like these?

http://www.amazon.com/Guy-Fieri-Knuc...s=steak+knives
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post

So much for doing this, douche got to it first and uncooled it.

+ Reply to Thread