Foster Bros. pron

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
I saw someone on KF posted this link to some (I'm assuming) Russian website with some great old Foster Bros. knives.
http://www.cookingknife.ru/iView.aspx?id=38
I happen to have one of these chef knives in my possession from Son for PIF.
Hope this link is ok with the mods.
Maybe I can ask Marko if he knows anything about this site.

Or maybe gentlecook will respond. He know's lots about Russia.

This is an amazing site and a great person founder this site Andrew Kozlowski
I hope he will be on this forum and answer some questions

I wonder when they quit making knives with the Foster Brothers stamp? Back in the 1980's Columbia Cutlery sent me a large catalog with both their own line and a full range of "Foster Brothers" stamped blades. I think it is buried someplace out in the old catalogs I store up in the haymount of the barn. Not sure they were actually making knives or just selling contract made cutlery with their logo on them.

Great Site ! Thank you Chris.

Would it be bad form for a maker to copy these on a new knife?

Love them!

If it is them I am guilty. Had some custom pins made over 3 years ago with the Lone Star.....thought it was an original idea. And then I thought the same thing about stabilized-epoxy filled Cholla cactus.

PZ

If it is them I am guilty. Had some custom pins made over 3 years ago with the Lone Star.....thought it was an original idea. And then I thought the same thing about stabilized-epoxy filled Cholla cactus.

PZ
Pics or it didn't happen!
I would love to see some of them star rivets!

I wonder when they quit making knives with the Foster Brothers stamp? Back in the 1980's Columbia Cutlery sent me a large catalog with both their own line and a full range of "Foster Brothers" stamped blades. I think it is buried someplace out in the old catalogs I store up in the haymount of the barn. Not sure they were actually making knives or just selling contract made cutlery with their logo on them.

Quoting from "Levine's Guide To Knives And Their Values - 4th Edition" by Bernard Levine...

Foster Bros.
In 1883 John Chatillon & Sons Co. of New York City, a half-century old maker of scales, acquired the Foster Brothers Cutlery Co. of Fulton, New York, founded in 1878 by Frank and Allie Foster. Chatillon expanded the Foster Bros. line to over 500 items. During World War II Foster made 250,000 cleavers for the military, plus thousands of bolos and other knives. Chatillon closed Foster Bros. in the 1950's, and sold the name to the Columbia Cutlery Co.

Quoting "Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings" by John & Charlotte Goins...

Foster Bros. & Chatillon Co.
c. 1835 - present
John Chatillon Company made scales when it was founded in 1835. Eventually, they began making butcher knives, cleavers, and steels. In 1885, they became sole agents agents for the Foster Brothers line butchers' tools.

In 1896, the firm purchased the Phoenix Knife Company of Phoenix, New York. They then merged it with the Foster Brothers & Chatillon Company. This added hundreds of patterns of of jack and pen knives to their line.

They continued dealing in pocket cutlery as late as 1937. The firm is still in business, dealing in butchers supplies.

Yes, I know about the site (in fact, I have been sending Russian/Ukrainian speakers there for a wile) and know the person whose site it is. He is a knife enthusiast from St. Petersburg, Russia and he is a member here.

The site is great - lots of pics and lots of information on knives and knife use.

M

Hi Andrey and welcome to the forum .
your site is great .

Trade mark infringement !

probably not , but I am spreading the rumor .

Latest posts

Back