Cleaning up a Forgecraft - Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
The recent interest in Forgecrafts has become infectious and I've picked up a couple for the BBQ table.

First was a cleaver from Tom/Sharp n Shiny, very good shape, maybe a new handle someday - but not today. It likes BBQ!

2012-11-03 18.53.25.jpg (A little out of its weight class)

2nd is a "butchers" chef knife from the bay that I'm looking for some advice on. No orange rust but some dark spots and several places where something that looks like old fry grease is on the blade and handle. How much scrubbing can I do without losing the distinctive bars? BKF and fine steel wool or dremel w polishing attachments?

2013-01-29 12.18.55.jpg

Thanks.

Dave

I let mine sit with a nice coating of Breakfree CLP for about a day and then used a scotchbright pad. Someone else posted this technique on this site (can't remember who) but it works well and keep both the base patina as well as the nice blocked pattern. Took the rust and crud off with just a little work. Does not look like a new knife but I wanted to retain the vintage look.

DSC_0939-1_zps7c843901.jpg

DSC_0940-1_zpsf8187989.jpg

Nice score on both Dave. I really like the butcher's knife. Send that thang to Mike Henry for a chemical peel and a pedicure. Wait though, he would send it back with a wa handle and I'm not sure that's what you want.
Try the BKF I guess. I did a little too much sanding on mine and started to lose some of the bars and writing so I'm a little more careful now. The last time I worked on it I taped up over the pretty parts and it came out good. I also saw a thread here a while ago where someone soaked there Forgie in something and it came out awesome with little metal removal.-Does anybody remember that?
Edit -sweet already answered

Thanks, I've used Break-Free to clean up guns but have not used on knives before. Got blade damp with it, let rest a few min then buffed with a fine pad. Might be the easiest thing I do all day...

2013-01-29 14.51.03.jpg

The knives will probably go to Mike eventually. Got to get through my "need" list before I start my "want" list.

Thanks, I've used Break-Free to clean up guns but have not used on knives before. Got blade damp with it, let rest a few min then buffed with a fine pad. Might be the easiest thing I do all day...

View attachment 12851

The knives will probably go to Mike eventually. Got to get through my "need" list before I start my "want" list.

Looks good Dave, I use wd-40 and some 600 grit sandpaper on the KU part of the blades. It will clean up the crud, and also brighten up the raised part of the the bars area, without removing the darker recessed sections. Use very light pressure!

Back