Quantcast
Bread Knife? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bread Knife?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I actually happen to like bread knives. I hope you do a WIP in the acceptance of this challenge. I will get my pops(forum member MikeL.) to donate the bread for the project!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Here is a rough design. Never used one before...ok, never even seen one before lol. I googled a few, but decided i would just draw one instead. What do you guys think? I was thinking of a proto in 330mm.

I'll need to pull out the Tojiro ITK bread knife tonight and compare. At first glance, I think the blade height may need to stay more constant until closer to the tip. But overall I really like it.

For big, crusty loaves it helps if the blade is not too flexible, although that is more a function of thickness then blade height.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but do the serrations end in 'tips'? If so, the points tend to chip, versus the 'wave' profile of the Tojiro which has been holding up very well.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Me likey! Nice design Mike.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Nice idea, however I'd put a bit more belly in the edge.

Ok, i looked at the tojiro, but seeing stuff on my phone, it pixelates. I will fire up the laptop and look at it that way. Thanks for the feedback guys, i want to get this right before i make it....and i dont want any points chipping off in bread...that would be bad!!!

Good way to avoid that is to use a suji

Coolest bread knife I've seen, Mike. Too bad your drawing sucks....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Looks great Mike, I would make it slightly taller at the tip to help keep your slices going straight.

Looks nice. The Guede bread knife is 320mm, wouldn't want it much shorter than that. You may also want to see how it works with the tip narrowing down like that. You don't want any flex in the tip if you cut large and dense woodfire oven country breads. For wonder bread, everything goes.

Stefan

I only want a bread knife to use for the really crusty, good breads, where you need serrations to get through that crust, and flex is a real problem with my current knife. My ideal bread knife, at least in theory, would be like a taller, thick, serrated yanagiba. Oh, and serrations that are easy to sharpen is an important factor.