Bread Knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Hey Mike,
I was just thinking.
It seems you are always trying out making different knife types.
Gives the impression that you enjoy a challenge.

So......how about a bread knife?
Wouldn't be easy, but I'd bet you could pull it off.

Probably should have sent this as a PM. But I'm not above putting you on the spot.

Maybe other forum members would give their input as to whether there is a market for custom bread knives.

Challenge accepted! Funny you should mention this, as i have had this idea on the back burner for quite some time. Will be a little while, but i accept.

Now I'm annoyed that I picked up a Mac Superior a few months back.

(I suppose I could always sell it here for a loss if Mike knocks this out of the park!)

Challenge accepted! Funny you should mention this, as i have had this idea on the back burner for quite some time. Will be a little while, but i accept.
I will make and donate a bread board to go with the first bread knife.

Bread knives suck, but I still want one of these!

I actually happen to like bread knives. I hope you do a WIP in the acceptance of this challenge. I will get my pops(forum member MikeL.) to donate the bread for the project!

Here is a rough design. Never used one before...ok, never even seen one before lol. I googled a few, but decided i would just draw one instead. What do you guys think? I was thinking of a proto in 330mm.
2013-01-31_10-45-16_998.jpg

I'll need to pull out the Tojiro ITK bread knife tonight and compare. At first glance, I think the blade height may need to stay more constant until closer to the tip. But overall I really like it.

For big, crusty loaves it helps if the blade is not too flexible, although that is more a function of thickness then blade height.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but do the serrations end in 'tips'? If so, the points tend to chip, versus the 'wave' profile of the Tojiro which has been holding up very well.

Ok, i looked at the tojiro, but seeing stuff on my phone, it pixelates. I will fire up the laptop and look at it that way. Thanks for the feedback guys, i want to get this right before i make it....and i dont want any points chipping off in bread...that would be bad!!!

Good way to avoid that is to use a suji :D

Coolest bread knife I've seen, Mike. Too bad your drawing sucks....

Looks great Mike, I would make it slightly taller at the tip to help keep your slices going straight.

Looks nice. The Guede bread knife is 320mm, wouldn't want it much shorter than that. You may also want to see how it works with the tip narrowing down like that. You don't want any flex in the tip if you cut large and dense woodfire oven country breads. For wonder bread, everything goes. :)

Stefan

I only want a bread knife to use for the really crusty, good breads, where you need serrations to get through that crust, and flex is a real problem with my current knife. My ideal bread knife, at least in theory, would be like a taller, thick, serrated yanagiba. Oh, and serrations that are easy to sharpen is an important factor.

I only want a bread knife to use for the really crusty, good breads, where you need serrations to get through that crust, and flex is a real problem with my current knife. My ideal bread knife, at least in theory, would be like a taller, thick, serrated yanagiba. Oh, and serrations that are easy to sharpen is an important factor.

I like my Tojiro but the serrations aren't the easiest to sharpen. Check out Dave's thread on how to sharpen serrated knives, he talks about the different times and which ones can be sharpened and how. I do wish it was longer sometimes too, so 300 or 330 would be nice.

GlassEye, check out a Guede. It's pretty close to what you describe.

Here is a rough design. Never used one before...ok, never even seen one before lol. I googled a few, but decided i would just draw one instead. What do you guys think? I was thinking of a proto in 330mm.
2013-01-31_10-45-16_998.jpg

Looks similar to a wusthof. I can dig it. I would prefer not to have it taper so much towards the tip. An even height all the way through seems to work best for me. Also, the more clearance that could be had between the handle and the cutting board the better, this helps a lot when cutting baguettes.

I found a vintage blade that might need a little rehab.
Might be a bit large though. An extralarge 2 man bread saw ......or maybe not.
il_fullxfull.330059835.jpg

mike can i make a suggestion?

i think a slightly offset handle offers a much more versatile knife even just for bread, like the ITK or you could go more offset and do a flat blade like you have in the picture. However a slight offset will offer a lot more user and ease of slicing, i threw away all my bread knives that do not have this feature is just uncomfortable and hard to slice in my opinion.

although either way im sure yours will be a great knife :)

Me and my big mouth!
Looks like the bread knife project is going to happen.
So I have to make a bread board to go with the knife.

I just picked out a piece of wood to use.
Looks like a piece of shelving.
But.....there is something good under that crusty exterior.

cb016_zps3c64e3cb.jpg

Hmmm...I wonder what lurks under the surface? :scratchhead:

You still can't see what is there yet.
The bread board should be big enough for a big sub sandwich.
Still a lot of shaping and sanding to go.

bb002_zpse03db310.jpg

Back