Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to replace my Hiro AS

Looking to replace my Hiro AS

A while backed I replaced my Shun Classic santoku with a Hiromoto AS gyuto, and really like this blade. However it wedges or grabs a bit on the back half of the blade, so I'm looking at something new (that and I wanted wa handle). On the couple SS clad aogami super knives I could find I really couldn't get much info on teh grind, so I was considering just getting a Kono HD as my 150mm petty has impressed me, very sharp and thin, slides right through anything. But the thread on Kono HD versus Gesshin Ginga has me reconsidering. I don't want to give up much on edge retention and sharpness of my Hiro AS, so is the Ginga stainless pretty comparable? How is the blade profile and grind? I like flat-ish, and of course easy to slide through potatoes and carrots, etc.

And just to throw out two more I was considering, what is the opinion on the Asai Damascus at EE and JCK Kagayaki AS and Kanehiro at **** for my priorities above: sharp and lasting edge, slides through potatoes and carrots, and flat-ish profile?

Also awaiting word from Murray Carter on one of his gyutos similar to these. I've heard they have nice thin blade, and they look very flat from the pics. They mat be out of my price range though.

Your AS needs good thinning, and its geometry to get restored. How has it been sharpened?

Send Dave a pm about your hiro, he cant sort it out for you.

or buy sakai yusuke or gesshin ginga

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Your AS needs good thinning, and its geometry to get restored. How has it been sharpened?
    I haven't had it long, only lightly sharpened once. I thought about having it thinned, but really would rather have a wa handle, and if I could get it flatter profile, but on that I really can't complain about the Hiro, it is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
    or buy sakai yusuke or gesshin ginga
    I was under the impression that white steel like that SY is not long lasting compared to most others? I do my own sharpening and don't mind it, but I don't want to do it often. I do have a Sakai Takayuki AEB-L nakiri that really like, so I'm looking at their gyutos. The nakiri is a little thicker than I expected mid blade, but obviously that doesn't mean their gyutos would be.

I don't think that is true. My sakai white 2 edge will last for ages but if you wanted it last longer get the swedish SS extra harden

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Carter will impress you in every way except for edge longevity. You said you put emphasis on retention, in which case you'll find both the Kono HD and the Gesshin Ginga superior to your Hiro AS.

Since the Kono's went up in price,I agree the Sakai Yusuki is a good buy.The white steel is easy to gt.razor sharp,the HT is good,thin profile all the way.Edge retention is better than alot of stainless, fit & finish +.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
    Send Dave a pm about your hiro, he cant sort it out for you.
    I presume that was supposed to be "can"

Dave's done some great work on quite a number of Hiro AS's.
    Len