Looking to replace my Hiro AS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augerpro

Reaction score
A while backed I replaced my Shun Classic santoku with a Hiromoto AS gyuto, and really like this blade. However it wedges or grabs a bit on the back half of the blade, so I'm looking at something new (that and I wanted wa handle). On the couple SS clad aogami super knives I could find I really couldn't get much info on teh grind, so I was considering just getting a Kono HD as my 150mm petty has impressed me, very sharp and thin, slides right through anything. But the thread on Kono HD versus Gesshin Ginga has me reconsidering. I don't want to give up much on edge retention and sharpness of my Hiro AS, so is the Ginga stainless pretty comparable? How is the blade profile and grind? I like flat-ish, and of course easy to slide through potatoes and carrots, etc.

And just to throw out two more I was considering, what is the opinion on the Asai Damascus at EE and JCK Kagayaki AS and Kanehiro at **** for my priorities above: sharp and lasting edge, slides through potatoes and carrots, and flat-ish profile?

Also awaiting word from Murray Carter on one of his gyutos similar to these. I've heard they have nice thin blade, and they look very flat from the pics. They mat be out of my price range though.

Send Dave a pm about your hiro, he cant sort it out for you.

or buy sakai yusuke or gesshin ginga :D

Your AS needs good thinning, and its geometry to get restored. How has it been sharpened?

I haven't had it long, only lightly sharpened once. I thought about having it thinned, but really would rather have a wa handle, and if I could get it flatter profile, but on that I really can't complain about the Hiro, it is pretty good.

or buy sakai yusuke or gesshin ginga :D

I was under the impression that white steel like that SY is not long lasting compared to most others? I do my own sharpening and don't mind it, but I don't want to do it often. I do have a Sakai Takayuki AEB-L nakiri that really like, so I'm looking at their gyutos. The nakiri is a little thicker than I expected mid blade, but obviously that doesn't mean their gyutos would be.

I don't think that is true. My sakai white 2 edge will last for ages but if you wanted it last longer get the swedish SS extra harden

Carter will impress you in every way except for edge longevity. You said you put emphasis on retention, in which case you'll find both the Kono HD and the Gesshin Ginga superior to your Hiro AS.

Since the Kono's went up in price,I agree the Sakai Yusuki is a good buy.The white steel is easy to gt.razor sharp,the HT is good,thin profile all the way.Edge retention is better than alot of stainless, fit & finish +.

Is the Sakai Yasuke all white steel, no cladding? I'm looking to stay with some SS clad carbon steel (or all SS obviously). So no one has experience with the mentioned Asai, Kanehiro, or JCK Kagayaki?

Yeah I even etched the hell out of a kagayaki and it was still very reactive. Excellent cutter with good geometry however.

Is the Sakai Yasuke all white steel, no cladding? I'm looking to stay with some SS clad carbon steel (or all SS obviously). So no one has experience with the mentioned Asai, Kanehiro, or JCK Kagayaki?

You can get the sakai in SS too, and it seems like bluewayjapan got a couple in stock.

And what about the gesshin ginga from Jon? just bought one yesterday :wink:

You can get the sakai in SS too, and it seems like bluewayjapan got a couple in stock.

And what about the gesshin ginga from Jon? just bought one yesterday :wink:

That SS Sakai Yasuke looks very interesting! From the comments I can find it seems close to what I'm looking for, although I don't like big handles. I suppose it wouldn't take much to plane and sand them.

As I mentioned in the first post I was really considering a Kono HD, but the Ginga made me rethink that and start this thread. Anyone use a Ginga and Sakai Yasuke?

My Ginga will be here next week, if you can wait i can compare both.

Sorry i forgot to mention that the Ginga will be 210 ss petty, while my Yusuke is 240 w2 gyuto.

I don't know man - I just did a rehandle, thinned and put a killer edge on my 270 Hiro AS and it's a wonderful knife. Might be worth a little upgrade to yours - you might give Dave a holler.

How much did you pay for the rehandle? I don't like yo handles at all.

I made it myself so I made the new one wider and fuller. I usually don't like Yo handles either, but I got used to this immediately. But if you don't like them then you don't like them and that's that.

Here is a pic of SY (top) versus Ginga (bottom):

GingavsSakaiYasuke.jpg

They look like they came off the same assembly line! Thickness of blade is similar, maybe a bit more taper toward the tip for the Ginga. Thickness behind the edge seems close with just my fingers, I may have to break out the calipers to really measure a difference, but they both probably qualify as lasers. Both have nicely rounded edges. Handles look identical. Profile is near identical - laying a ruler along the edge from heel to about 5 inches in they both have about 3/32" of belly above the ruler. The Ginga tip might be a little lower. Very excited to use them today!!

One will get sold. I'll probably have to flip a coin. Just cut up some carrots and potatoes and both slide through like my Hiro AS never could. Both are similarly sharp. I thought I remember seeing the SY listed as symmetric ground but putting a straight edge to it, it is definitely asymmetric. I might go with the Ginga just for its symmetric edge, keeps me from having to think too much when I sharpen it.

Potatoes and carrots shouldn't be a problem with an adequately sharpened Hiromoto IMO unless you have let it become far too fat behind the edge or otherwise messed up its geometry.
I just have to think too much when dealing with a symmetric edge.

Latest posts

Back