Stone Fixer up for grabs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Hello hello,
We got in some stone fixers that broke on their way to Korin from Japan. Since we're not selling them, management let us take one or two for customers who might want it. I managed to get my hands on 1 piece before they disappeared for KKF.

Would anyone like it? It's a very good stone fixer. All I would ask is for some sort of review on the stone and the shipping fee.

Details about the stone fixer:
media.nl

Sharpening Stone Fixer - Brown
List Price: $20
The stone fixer with ridges flattens stones faster, while the flat backside of the stone polishes the sharpening stones.

The damage:

There is a good chunk out of the stone, but it's definitely workable.

Thanks for reading!

I'll take it

Great! That was fast. LOL
Could I ask you to PM me the following information?
- Name
- Shipping Info
- Phone number
- E-mail address
- Billing Info (We accept paypal if you prefer it.)

Thanks! :)
- Mari

Thanks Mari. Pm sent

Great! That was fast. LOL
Could I ask you to PM me the following information?
- Name
- Shipping Info
- Phone number
- E-mail address
- Billing Info (We accept paypal if you prefer it.)

Thanks! :)
- Mari

I've always wondered about these.. Do they stay flat for a relatively long period or do you have to flatten them often as well?????

I've always wondered about these.. Do they stay flat for a relatively long period or do you have to flatten them often as well?????

The stone fixers are much harder than sharpening stones, so for the most part no, you don't have to flatten or resurface them.

I've had one of these sitting in my waterbath for a couple years, it is a dark grey/black one. I got it from a friend, probably in 2009 or 2010 and since I have had it, and used it countless times, I don't even think it has moved in height. They aren't as fast as using a diamond plate or atoma as a flattener, but they are cheap, in this case especially so, I'd say they are definitely worth the 20$.

Hi Mari, I received the stone last week. I will update after I have a chance to use it.
Thanks Again

Was there only one available for grabs? I'd be interested if you have other broken stuff...

I got one of these in 2009 from Korin. It eventually did dish, and became quite smooth on the bottom...I fixed it with a diamond plate.

Works well, but definitely not as fast as a diamond plate.

I'm glad Mike got it. He's one of the most giving guys on the forum! Besides, I can't wait to see how a "Stone Fixer Handle" turns out. :D

Cool gift, Mari!

Was there only one available for grabs? I'd be interested if you have other broken stuff...

I actually have 2 more! LOL Since you asked first, you have dibs I guess? I will PM you in a moment.

I'm not at work right now because I'm home with the stomach flu, but I will take a picture of them tomorrow and post.

Yup. Are you interested? Don has first pick but neither are that bad from what I remember. I'll be sure to send you guys a picture. :)

Got it earlier this week.

Small nick on the corner, but it's nothing to worry about. Overall I think the fixer works alright, but certainly has room for improvements.

It works pretty slow, similar in speed to a fine DMT; little bit on the small side too. Most of the edges had a small ridge raised up, kind of like a burr. This would nick into the stones some times. I just took a DMT and beveled the edges, which didn't take long at all. It tends to load up with the slurry; this may be an issue if you worry about grit contamination between stones. Stays wet for a bit of time.

However, it's only $20, and a pretty good fixer if you have a minimalist or basic setup. Bottom line is that it can work, but you may find it lacking if you've worked with diamond plates before. I think it works best on softer stones, as on somewhat harder stones it will go really slow (or not cut at all, if the stone is really hard. I remember Dave was talking about a stone that was really difficult to flatten unless if using a diamond plate).

As I keep using it I will come back here to update if I notice anything else.

Thanks for the opportunity Mari!

I've tried the stone fixer with Chosera 400, 800, 2k and 5k. The two lowest grits were very seriously neglected. I've no experience with diamond flatteners.
After soaking both fixer and stone it went quite fast. Needed to keep it constantly wet, rinsed both fixer and stone frequently and interrupted the major operation on the 800 for a short new soaking.
The ribbon profiled side is extremely effective when the lowest pressure is applied.
Taking the initial soaking not into account, it took about 15 minutes to get rid of a 2mm height difference with the 800.
On all stones, I like very much the final feeling the fixer left. Only the relatively soft 5k needed a few strokes with a nagura to get it smooth.
I've noticed no contamination from the fixer to the stone. No contamination between stones either after simple rinsing of stone and fixer. As far as I noticed there is no reason for concern about remaining mud traces on the fixer.
I think this fixer can be very useful for home users, especially if it is used with a new stone from the very beginning.
I'm most grateful to Mari for offering this opportunity.

Update: whilst the fixer was great on relatively hard medium coarse and finer stones, I found a J300 that was totally immune to it. Please note that the Chosera grits I mentioned correspond to finer J-scale grits.

Back