Serving Platter or ???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I had this slab of redwood set aside in my drying room for several months and decided to do something with it yesterday.
I thought it would make a nice serving or display platter. Or.....just a pretty piece of wood.

The wood is a piece of old redwood root.
1st photo is just off the drum sander where I sanded it flat and even thickness at 36 grit.

1-10.jpg

Next photo sanded at 220 grit. Here the grain and figure start to become visible.

2-1.jpg

This photo is at 400 grit. Things are starting to look good.

3.jpg

Next step I am going to try out Board Smith's suggestion of wet sanding with mineral oil.

Is that going up for sale? If so, I'm interested!

Is that going up for sale? If so, I'm interested!
We'll see. I will give you 1st option if it does.
I am putting a lot of time into it to get it to look just right. If it turns out good, I will put it up for sale. If not, I will be taking it home.

I just found out that if you walk into a room wearing blue gloves with a bottle of mineral oil in hand,
......guys start getting nervous. Clears a room pretty quick.

6.jpg

Here I applied a liberal coat of mineral oil.

7.jpg

Using a sanding block with 400 grit sandpaper I am sanding both sides.

5.jpg

This is rubbing in the oil and sanding for a better finish.

I will repeat this several times through the day.

Getting closer. I did 8 coats with oil and sanding and finally wiped off the excess oil.
There are some minor surface scratches that I will rub out after the surface oil dries.

8.jpg

Dimensions are about 15" by 11" by 1&1/4" thick.

I think it is finished now.
After another sanding I did a few applications of Butcher Block conditioner. (a mix of mineral oil, carnuba and bees wax)
Darkened the slab a bit more and left a satin finish. I don't have any food safe paste wax so it looks like this is how it will stay.
Still haven't decided whether it will stay with me or go to someone else.
rp003_zps6d02335f.jpg

Maybe it can be lost in the package to Denmark :O

Very cool looking wood :D

Back